Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
imbringingnerdyback

drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? Empty
PostSubject: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 am

Hello buff vegan folk,

I am merely vegan folk. The buff bit comes next year when my schedule changes and I have room to train. Currently I have a delicious protein shake in the form of one scoop of frutein and two scoops of pea protein. However frutein is amazing but far too expensive to justify and unless I want to start feeding my kids every other day, I have to kick it to the curb. So my question is what can I add to my pea protein that will help mask the taste of camel dung? I'm not interested in blends. It's easy to add some berries and mask the taste. I'm looking for a convenient shake so I'm looking for a powder that will mask the taste, is comlpetely vegan, costs no more than 50p a serving and free of artificial sweeteners. Not too fussy am I? I don't mind if it adds 150 extra healthy calories, any more than that and I might as well stick with a chocolate soya milk. The challenge has been set. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 4:57 am

I'm not really the guy to ask as I just down it whatever. There are some flavouring products about that aren't so expensive, but probably contain stuff like artificial sweeteners & stuff - other possibility is cocoa powder? That'd cover up the taste & you'd increase your magnesium by a whole lot (chocolate is a huge supplier of magnesium) & antioxidants, so would be an option. Also some form of 'milk' flavouring, oyur health food shop might well have some powder you can add to milks, that might well work with protein shakes. Also fruit juices could be added, just buy some fruit juice & add as much as you need to make it taste better (although the calories can soon mount up with fruit juice so be careful).
Hope there are a few ideas for you there? My personal option is to go hardcore, suck it up & down the protein as is, nice tasting protein - who'd have thunk it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Wasabi Peas are thoroughly enjoyable to me.

I've used them for a post workout snack. I'd really like to buy it in bulk somewhere, measured out and perhaps it'd be even more economic. I've also seen the protein but I'd have to find an outlet to look into it again. I guess I'm reading that Wasabi peas are actually peas though I wouldn't know that and are indeed a source of protein.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 3:27 am

Pea protein doesn't take like peas Laughing There are many people now knowing you haven't tried it. Most people don't like pea protein powder (it's a white powder with a very un-pea like taste, but around 90% protein which is huge - compares well to any other protein powder on the market). I can just down in in soya milk or water, but some prefer adding fruit or similar to mask the flavour.

Thinking about it I think I'd have more trouble downing a pea flavoured protein drink, than downing pea protein as it tastes right now, it'd be way to sweet for me I think?
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

Pete wrote:
Pea protein doesn't take like peas Laughing There are many people now knowing you haven't tried it. Most people don't like pea protein powder (it's a white powder with a very un-pea like taste, but around 90% protein which is huge - compares well to any other protein powder on the market). I can just down in in soya milk or water, but some prefer adding fruit or similar to mask the flavour.

Thinking about it I think I'd have more trouble downing a pea flavoured protein drink, than downing pea protein as it tastes right now, it'd be way to sweet for me I think?

Actually if I hedged on the issue, the matter is I saw the pea protein in a newly opened natural grocers store nearby where I'd go fairly often but just as surprisingly, one day they put up a sign saying "due to economic conditions they were closing their store but be sure to visit their other locations", this is all in the last 2 years. They had the hemp protein too, now the other stores are a bit out of my way, there is a store that caters to bodybuilders I might try today, maybe they have it.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 pm

You can order online pretty cheap. Check out our list of supplement companies to see the prices to buy online.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 am

That is a good link, I did not get anything yesterday though I did go by there. No pea protein but they had a brown rice protein, a bit on the pricey side. I will study this link you submitted. Thank You.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, I didn't care for the taste of pea protein powder when I tried it a few years back. Mind you, I stuck with it and... never got used to it. It made my throat hurt actually.

But I found that rice protein powder was pretty good and despite it being an 'incomplete' protein compared to pea powder, I actually found it worked just as well. As long as one is eating other foods chances are high that rice protein will work just as well despite being incomplete. And rice protein tastes a lot better. I liked it with fruit (bananas, blueberries) and rice milk. Sometimes a bit of coconut milk. I ultimately don't think stuffing one's self full of protein is worth it. One has to double, triple, etc their protein intake to increase their strength by maybe 10%, possibly 20%. In my experience anyway.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:22 am

Quote :
But I found that rice protein powder was pretty good and despite it being an 'incomplete' protein compared to pea powder, I actually found it worked just as well. As long as one is eating other foods chances are high that rice protein will work just as well despite being incomplete. And rice protein tastes a lot better. I liked it with fruit (bananas, blueberries) and rice milk. Sometimes a bit of coconut milk. I ultimately don't think stuffing one's self full of protein is worth it.

Yes, it looks like I will get some brown rice protein in the near future so I'm sure this will work. That helps a lot.

Another item I've seen on the shelves for a long time is Spiru-Tein. I wonder if anyone has ever taken it? I wonder if all of these Spiru-Teins are strictly vegan, I read the label and it seemed so but they also have a few different flavors so I'll go slow on this before I ever really get any if at all, afterall, they may be for the "Slim-Fast" or "Instant breakfast" meal replacement types but it caught my attention. I'm sure there is plenty of info again, on the web about this.

I think one of the flavours was all vegan, meaning it had soy, pea powder and I forget what else so again in due time.

http://www.godlygiveaways.com/images/spiru-tein.jpg

Just an image of it, I think it's probably been around for decades but I never thought too much about getting any.

Quote :
One has to double, triple, etc their protein intake to increase their strength by maybe 10%, possibly 20%. In my experience anyway.

I agree, I'm not really going to worry about it too much anymore but I'm glad I found this brown rice protein. The fellow at the store said it tasted a bit grainy, that sounds okay to me.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am

As far as I know none of the spiru-tein range is vegan (although there could be one or 2 that are ok?).
I know they at least have bee pollen in....I actually have a gripe with pollen (barring the obvious one of the fact that when the bees enter the hive limbs are often ripped off by the pollen collection device), there is no, I mean zero, scientific evidence to say it does anything beneficial & lots to say it one of the most allergenic product around!
I actually took the time to contact every outfit on the net selling pollen I could find, I simply asked for any scientific evidence for pollen being effective for anything, anything at all to substantiate the claims they were making. All I asked was that it was a peer-reviewed work - all I got was a load of links to other websites again making more unsubstantiated claims (I wrote to them & got the same - until often I ended up back at the first one!), I also wrote to the Food Standards agency & the FDA again asking if there was any research showing any benefits to ingesting pollen...they both replied that as far as they are aware there have been no studies ever showing a single beneficial effects of pollen to humans, but there have been many cases of bad reactions to pollen (even death!).
It might be there is some research out there pointing to some benefits of pollen general (or bee pollen specifically), but I've yet to find it.
Anecdotally they say eating local pollen may lessen your hayfever - that doesn't mean it has to be BEE pollen as you can get, or even collect your own, local pollen from plants - but again as far as I know that's never been proven to be effective just here-say.
The risks of taking bee pollen are fairly high compared to most other foods, & any alleged benefits are unproven, I steer clear of any pollen (even the stuff collected without the involvement of bees, which is vegan).
Anyway that's my gripe with pollen.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Quote :
It might be there is some research out there pointing to some benefits of pollen general (or bee pollen specifically), but I've yet to find it.
Anecdotally they say eating local pollen may lessen your hayfever - that doesn't mean it has to be BEE pollen as you can get, or even collect your own, local pollen from plants - but again as far as I know that's never been proven to be effective just here-say.
The risks of taking bee pollen are fairly high compared to most other foods, & any alleged benefits are unproven, I steer clear of any pollen (even the stuff collected without the involvement of bees, which is vegan).
Anyway that's my gripe with pollen.

Yes, I heard that part emboldened above before. I once had Bee something probably pollen once in a clear plastic bag, local they called it, with all of those tiny tiny yellow beads, years ago.

But that is a another big marketing vehicle, bee pollen and not just bee pollen but all this stuff they call bee propolis, royal jelly, it's an industry and sort of a niche like your Celltech SBGA (Super Blue Green Algae) types, I think maybe I've even heard shows on the radio but I haven't pursued bee products in a decade at least. Aloe Vera is another big marketing operation, OK, I think Aloe Vera is fantastic but I have these CDs from some company and in their line of products, something for athletes to play better; that's a far reach, yes, Aloe Vera is good but I'm not sure what specifically it can do performance wise.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 pm

I got some, https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com/nutrition-f7/mike-mahler-getting-big-strong-on-a-vegan-diet-t226.htm?sid=d8bd683857ef52007e81eddfbd2ee840 IT is the same kind this Mike Mahler uses, Nutri-Biotic, it's okay, powdery, I've liked how people can make brewers yeast less powdery and more granulated but this is better in texture than some brewers yeast I've had and palatable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?   drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference? Empty

Back to top Go down

drinking pea protein or licking a wet dog. could you tell the difference?
Page 1 of 1