Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Healthy employees get bonus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Healthy employees get bonus Empty
PostSubject: Healthy employees get bonus   Healthy employees get bonus EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 am

Here's a blog post slagging off the idea that a company should give discounts to healthier employees - I'd actually say it was a pretty interesting idea as it will save the company in terms of health care costs & save the employees cash shopping (& save their health as well!).
I do have a 'slight' issue using the the BMI as obviously some of us can hit 'obese' & still have a 6 pack Laughing , I'd also give exemptions to those with medical conditions that make achieving a healthy weight impossible (like a metabolic condition or a genetic fault that makes low cholesterol impossible to achieve whatever diet you eat), but given some provisos I'd say, that employers do have to pay health insurance, so they should be able to give incentives to encourage employees to make healthy choices if they want to.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Healthy employees get bonus   Healthy employees get bonus EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

They use the BMI where I work for some slightly lower insurance fee. By BMI though I'm moderately obese. This because of a bit of extra muscle I carry. I think though it's more for public relations purposes and they don't actually want people to take advantage of it. That's why they use the BMI and people like me get excluded. Also they did a sneaky short sign up period. Also they made smoking near the building illegal yet their hospital cafteria consists almost entirely of meat grease.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Healthy employees get bonus   Healthy employees get bonus EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Yea stuff that's actually proven to affect health like waist measurements (Or probably chest to waist ratios for males) would do better than the BMI which really hits big, muscular guys hard. I could easily diet down to a nice skinny/fat & hit my BMI values, but still have high fat levels. I just need to lose enough muscle! Simple starvation coupled with inactivity (i.e. the average diet plan for most people) is a great way to lose muscle mass while holding onto as much fat as possible. You see it all the time, males & females who are skinny looking, but when they strip down to swim or whatever are slack & look pretty bad as the fat still hangs off their skinny little frames & there's no muscle mass to support the structures so you get the old 'bat wings' on the back of the arms, saggy chest on males who aren't even a 35" chest, even pot bellies on skinny little bodies.
Strangely enough it's simple to get rid of...the problem is it's not easy, you need to work hard, build up the muscle mass. That's the problem with a lot of things today, people want easy, not simple & training isn't like that, it's not 3 minutes on the new wonder gadget, it's hard work doing basic stuff that gets results. Go into the gym & look. You'll see even in the gym most people cluster around the treadmills, cycles etc. They 'train' by walking/cycling, maybe tortoise speed jog while watching TV, being on their phones etc. That's easy, so then they've done 'the gym', so they feel good, but they've not done anything much. They'd have done more if they put on some shoes & jogged to the gym door, then jogged home (but they drive). They don't stimulate muscles mass & yes even on ladies it is actually the muscles that give them the nice shape, not the fat! Want to avoid bat-wings, then you have to work the arms, want a firm chest well then pick up some weights & do some chest work, want attractive legs, then your looking at weighted leg work. Cardio is fine for health, for the heart & lungs, I recommend it, but why not go for the whole package & get the heart health, the strong lungs & spend some time building those muscles so you look young, feel fitter & stronger, get the whole package, not just focus on the 'easy stuff'. Yes, weights are heavy, they make you grunt, they make you sweat, they make you think "Do I really want to be here doing this?" on occasion, but they'll also make you feel great & look hot (well as hot as you're going to get Very Happy ) & be 100%+ more healthy than you would be without doing them, but it is hard - hence we have places like this were we can hold hands with those feeling like they want to quit & coax them along until they can once again feel that buzz of excitement when they hit the gym & attack that iron.

...oh my lord I went into rant mode....got to watch that affraid
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy employees get bonus   Healthy employees get bonus Empty

Back to top Go down

Healthy employees get bonus
Page 1 of 1