Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

pre-workout supplements

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john machin

john machin

pre-workout supplements Empty
PostSubject: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:24 am

Read the muscle mags and they're all telling us to take protein 30-60 minutes before a workout on one page; the next page they're telling us to take individual aminos, such as citrulline, creatine, beta alanine and arginine - on an empty stomach 20-30 minutes before a workout. The advice is contradictory, since the 20-30g protein is going to be still in the stomach when you take the aminos.
I generally take the aminos an hour before, then the protein 30 minutes before - though I suspect this may not be the optimum method.
Has anyone come up with a better way?

Last edited by john machin on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://wwww.placeinumbria.com
RobbieVegan

RobbieVegan

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:58 am

This is what I do 1 hour before protein drink[60g no carbs] 30 mins before l-glutamine 10g 10g bcaa,s 5g taurine 2g cee all off spoon wash down with 75g of carb,s [maltadextrin] in a pint of water
Straight after training l-glutamine 10g bcaa,s 10g taurine 5g cee 2g off spoon wash down with water 15mins later body wt in grams to kg,s of protein[no carbs] in a drnk form 90mins later protien/carb/fat solid meal works for me
Robbie
Back to top Go down
john machin

john machin

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:07 am

[b]Don't you think the protein is interfering with the absorption of the aminos 30 minutes later?

Last edited by john machin on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:14 am

This is quite a subjective answer on my part, but I 'feel' when my stomach empties (at least I feel 'something' that I interpret as that). Mine does take around 40-80 minutes (around 40 for a shake, & anything up to 80 for a meal that contains some fat - obviously a crazy gut-buster meal can take longer), so if I'm having a shake I have that around the 80 minute pre-training, once I feel it's moved on I take my amino acids & wait around 20-30 minutes. I seem to have fairly quick transit times (again supposition, I'm going by feel), someone else may need as long as 2 hours or so pre-training for their meal to move on & be ready for amino acid.
Another option I've seen touted that might be useful is to have the pre-workout protein, then add your amino acid to your workout drink, as long as you don't go crazy about the amounts used & you've not got a sensitive gut you should be ok as amino acids need not digestion, simply assimilation.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
john machin

john machin

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 am

I've begun perofrming decline V-press-ups from the Smith machine bar - set at 5-feet off the ground, Pete. Anything you've had <30 minutes pre finds its way back up very quickly Embarassed Yes, I know, it's best to leave these to the end of the workout. But I find squats and esp deadlifts, which are best done early, aren't kind on the stomach.

Last edited by john machin on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RobbieVegan

RobbieVegan

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 10:27 am

No problem for me boys re protein shake in fact a few times its been 30mins before training but then again I am not mortal lol
Robbie
Back to top Go down
wongk222

PostSubject: RE   pre-workout supplements EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I've been taking Superpump 250, and Jack3d. I want to try something new. Any ideas on what the next best things are?
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 am

I wouldn't choose either Superpump 250 or Jack3d. I'll explain why:
First off Superpump 250 contains Salicin, & that is an NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), it is a close relative to aspirin. NSAIDs are thought to inhibit muscle growth, so I couldn't recommend them.
Jack3d is an NO2, NO2 just gives you brief pump, there's no research to say it does anything else.

Basically you are taking 2 products with arginine & creatine in. & one or the other has beta alanine & caffeine in there. Most of the rest is 'fluff'.
You'd probably save money by going to a bulk buying company & getting a creatine, if you want an arginine type effect I'd actually go for Citrulline Malate as it appears to increase arginine levels in the body to a higher level than taking a similar amount of arginine [ NOTE: do not take any arginine, or arginine forming product without taking l-lysine]. Also any arginine, or arginine forming product can make cold sores worse, be cautious if you suffer from them, so you need a L-lysine product if you want to take a arginine or arginine forming product, get that if you want to take it. Some beta alanine (this product is not proven yet, but has some interesting results in studies) & some caffeine (if you need the buzz to get 'up' for a workout).
So assuming you wanted the 'main stuff' in the 2 products you mentioned I'd nip online to a supplement bulk buying place & buy:

Creatine
Beta alanine
Citrulline Malate
L-lysine
Caffeine

Products I would consider:

Protein powder have it both pre-workout & post - you'll get more benefit having pre & post workout protein than any other supplement.
Also if you want to add mass I'd consider eating more. Plan to progressively eat, go from where you are right now & add 200 cal to your daily intake & stick at that for a few weeks. Stay at that until you are used to it, then go up another 200cal, once you start reaching the point you are eating 800-1,000cal more than you were & you stick at heavy training the gains will start to come.
Not sexy like the latest 'Ultra muscle' supplement, but more effective-just spend the cash you would have wasted on the latest gimmick supplement & spend it on food. Add in enough rest, trying to stay stress-free & hard training & you'll blow up like a monster!
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pre-workout supplements   pre-workout supplements Empty

Back to top Go down

pre-workout supplements
Page 1 of 1