Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

50's training

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: 50's training   50's training EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 am

I've stolen this idea (as I do a lot of 'ideas' I have) this one is from 'maximum' Bob Whelan. What you need:

1/ 1950's music (optional)
2/ 4-6 compound movements (so think squat, deadlift, trapbar deadlift, row, pull-up, shoulder press, bench press) basically for the upper body you want an equal number of push & pull exercises, so if you bench press, you barbell row, if you shoulder press you do a pull-up).
3/ Depending on how you are you can either start with the lower body stuff (squat deadlift, etc), or if doing lower body totally wipes you out save it for the end. But you are aiming at 50 reps for EACH exercise.
I don't care if you do 30,10,5,5; or 20, 15, 15; or whatever. If you want to be super tough you can go to positive failure (for me that's when you can no longer get a rep using good form), or you can break it down to 10 sets of 5 if you like. The idea though is to rest as little as you need until you get 50, you can take a few minutes then to gather yourself for the next 50. The whole workout should be done within the hour.
If you are going to failure with this one I would have the puke bucket nearby!

I'm doing this later today as part of my week of just doing different stuff. We'll see if I can gut it out as I'm not a fan of high reps & I'm going for max reps & positive failure.
I'm aiming at 6 exercises myself start with a squat, then a a pull, a push, then pull again, then push, then end with a trapbar deadlift (if I'm near death I might skip the DL at the end! affraid scratch ).
I'll let you know how it goes later (if I survive Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 am

OMG! Just finished doing the 50’s workout. 50 reps of each exercise (not in 1 set), so squats, bent over BB row, shoulder press, shrugbar upright row, floor press, shrugbar deadlift, to set the scene I played 50’s music :-) . Got a ham cramp 3 reps into the squats, tri cramp doing S press, made the mad decision of using 2” grip for shrugbar work...but I didn’t puke! Took me a little over the 1hr to get it done
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Ah, Pete, you can be a cruel taskmaster.
I've been off training for three days, not counting a light workout day before yesterday, and DOMS as a result.
But your 50's sound interesting, I'm back up at the lake now so I may try these tomorrow.
If you don't hear from me it will be because I have suffered a major coronary, or that I am busy throwing up over the deck rail.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:06 am

It was a hard one to be sure! I did it max reps for each set (until the next rep would have been poor form, NOT to absolute failure & heaving the weight up by any means necessary), so it was something 15, 12, 10, 8, 5 for example resting slightly less time than you think you need then hammering it again (30-60 sec or less between until you get the 50 reps, then rest a minute or 2, then next exercise). I found it better to do the whole body, but you could probably do an upper or lower body (no way you could do a bodypart split using this & keep the intensity high enough). 5 was the most attempts I took, I did some in 4 goes, I think if you did it 3 goes you would be going too light & need to go heavier.
Let me know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Woof!
Plenty hard...but interesting too.
I only made it to fifty on deadlifts and bentover rows.
I could have done it on inclined press and flys, but the weights were low, so will postpone until tomorrow.

Weight-training is on the whole, an uninteresting sport.

Usually alone, we don't leap, hurdle, nor run fast, nor hear cheers of the crowd...
but we have a sense of humor and goals beyond most, and a pain-tolerance that is beyond most sportsmen.

Last edited by Grayfox on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 am

.....but......

50's training Chains

We do have CHAINS - how many activities involve chains (...um yep, I can think of a couple as well Embarassed )

I was Shoulder pressing then benching these beauties yesterday. Chains are great they wriggle like eels as you try to lift them, means you lift pretty light, but not just your triceps & pecs get a workout, the stabilisers (all those rotator cuffs you hear so much about), the back, when doing the shoulder press the core all get a decent going over with these suckers.
...& how often can go get to say "I lifted some big metal chains with daisy chains!" (Ironmind daisy chains that is Laughing )...only in lifting!
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 am

"...and a pain-tolerance that is beyond most sportsmen."

Hmm, yes, those chains do look pretty wicked.
I withdraw my earlier comment about pain-tolerance...there are other sports that hurt more than weight training...

50's training Rugby
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 am

Yep I can think of a few as well
50's training Face_punch
Pretty much why I gave up boxing right there Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

I quit boxing because I didn't like the feeling of canvas on my back.

Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Sore face & canvas rash on the back...not the best look Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

50's training Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50's training   50's training Empty