Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Breaks from Training

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
asromacalcio

Breaks from Training Empty
PostSubject: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 am

I have to go away for a week and probably won't find another gym.

I know I can do a workout in my hotel room, press ups etc, but that aside, how long is it reasonable to go without training before muscle growth reverses and starts to turn to fat?

Will a week off be a problem?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.ctrickett.co.uk
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:19 pm

One of these days I'm going to write a book about Staying in Shape on the Road.
I travel a lot, but until i get around to another book I'd h
need to hear from a lot of guys who face the same problem. But until then:

Curls without gym equipment can be done by gripping a hotel chair by its front legs and curling it. Push ups can be done anywhere, but hotel carpets are notoriously dusty, so cover them with bath towels. While you're down there try triceps presses--face away from the chair, anchor your hands behind you on the chair and push up reps until you get tired of the hotel television programs. Abs and legs can be done by marching in place, but bringing knees up to elbow level--try not to disturb the hotel guests on the floor below yours. Knee-bends are obvious, but also try "frog-squats," (look them up on-line, they look silly, but are a good leg workout). Overhead exercises like military presses and triceps curls can be done with hotel furniture, but stay alert that you don't hit overhead light fixtures.

Some of the other women and guys here probably have more applicable suggestions.

Good luck.
Where are you traveling to?

Last edited by Grayfox on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh, but your question was, "how long before muscles begin to turn to fat?"

Good news, muscles don't turn into fat.
Some body builders who abandon the sport continue to eat as if they were training, but neglect the exercise, do gain unwanted body weight. You are right that there is a linkage between exercise and body weight, but diet has a large part to do with it.

About your question:

Although a long layoff may result in a loss of flexibility and muscle-tone,
and an even longer layoff could result in a loss of muscle mass,
a week or so probably won't be a problem. In fact a week's layoff may even be beneficial since you're muscles need recovery time to develop, and most of us probably over-train anyway.

I'll be interested in what the Trainers and PT-ers among us have to say about this.
Back to top Go down
asromacalcio

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks again.

I've taken to prodding my shoulders and chest to see if I'm losing any muscle, all seems to be OK, I rather think the rest will have helped.

Cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Taking a short break is rarely an issue. As you said it can often help as it gives recovery a chance to really kick-in. I would simply enjoy yourself (unless you're training for some contest, which is a very different thing).
Consistency is king in training, but if your otherwise training very consistently then a short break won't hurt.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
asromacalcio

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi

I went back today planning to do a full body but with light weights to ease me back in, and found I was actually stronger for all exercises.

So the ten days, as it turned out to be, was a blessing after all.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Good for you, asromacalcio, it sounds like you went back correctly. You did it a little, a bit at a time, without injury.
Pete is right, you should enjoy working out, and the goal of training is consistency
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaks from Training   Breaks from Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Breaks from Training
Page 1 of 1