Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? Empty
PostSubject: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am

Here's a look at what is considered the average minimum of vit D in the blood. Basically the amount is 75 nmol/L (30 ng/mL) according to this study. Now if we compare it with the latest British Study of vitamin D in the blood of vegans we can see that levels are at 51·0 - 61·0 nmol/l (depending on the season), but generally below the recommended amount of vitamin D in the blood (according to this study at least).
So this is one reason I suggest taking 1-2, 000 IUs of vit D every day. Basically most vegans are not getting enough - bear in mind this is the considered MINIMUM!
You can get blood tests really easy for vitamin D, just make sure you are being tested for the active type ( 25-hydroxyvitamin D serum level ), but generally if you are in a temperate climate you're probably quite low if you do not supplement.

Anyway, here's the abstract:

Quote :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21448774

Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]

von Domarus C, Brown J, Barvencik F, Amling M, Pogoda P.

Department of Osteology and Biomechanics, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246, Hamburg, Germany.
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Vitamin D is critical for musculoskeletal health and has been implicated in the risk of extraskeletal diseases, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and autoimmune diseases, as well as overall mortality. Although numerous studies deal and have dealt with vitamin D deficiency and its consequences, experts cannot agree on the right 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. This survey aims to shed light on the ongoing vitamin D controversy from different angles.

QUESTIONS/PURPOSES: We discuss the minimum threshold for the 25-hydroxyvitamin D level to guarantee optimal health, why vitamin is D critical to musculoskeletal and extraskeletal functions, and new evidence for the success of prevention measures such as food fortification.

METHODS: We searched PubMed, Google Scholar, and reference lists of articles using several keywords. The most recent search was in February 2011.

RESULTS: While the use of parathyroid hormone as a surrogate measure did not lead to a consensus concerning the required 25-hydroxyvitamin D serum level, the combined analysis of bone mineralization and vitamin D status has established minimum levels of more than 75 nmol/L (30 ng/mL) to guarantee at least skeletal health. An effective measure to approach this status is food fortification, which has been demonstrated by countries such as Canada, the United States, and Finland.

CONCLUSIONS: Given the health economic implications of failure to maintain a balanced vitamin D status, action is recommended to integrate current scientific knowledge on vitamin D into physicians' treatment of patients and governmental policies on food fortification.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 am

To add to this today I found yet another study (this publish in feb 2011) suggesting levels of 9,600 IU/d to be the ideal intake. So far this is an initial look at this & I think this level will be too high for most people to maintain, for the moment I'm sticking to the 1-2,000 IU/d recommendations...but if more research comes out I may have to up that (maybe by a big amount?).
Here's the full study

I'll put the abstract below:

Quote :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21378345

Anticancer Res. 2011 Feb;31(2):607-11.
Vitamin d supplement doses and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d in the range associated with cancer prevention.

Garland CF, French CB, Baggerly LL, Heaney RP.

Creighton University Medical Center, 601 North 30th Street - Suite 4841, Omaha, NE 68131, U.S.A. rheaney@creighton.edu.
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Studies indicate that intake of vitamin D in the range from 1,100 to 4,000 IU/d and a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration [25(OH)D] from 60-80 ng/ml may be needed to reduce cancer risk. Few community-based studies allow estimation of the dose-response relationship between oral intake of vitamin D and corresponding serum 25(OH)D in the range above 1,000 IU/d.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: A descriptive study of serum 25(OH)D concentration and self-reported vitamin D intake in a community-based cohort (n=3,667, mean age 51.3±13.4 y).

RESULTS: Serum 25(OH)D rose as a function of self-reported vitamin D supplement ingestion in a curvilinear fashion, with no intakes of 10,000 IU/d or lower producing 25(OH)D values above the lower-bound of the zone of potential toxicity (200 ng/ml). Unsupplemented all-source input was estimated at 3,300 IU/d. The supplemental dose ensuring that 97.5% of this population achieved a serum 25(OH)D of at least 40 ng/ml was 9,600 IU/d.

CONCLUSION: Universal intake of up to 40,000 IU vitamin D per day is unlikely to result in vitamin D toxicity.
Back to top Go down
trew

PostSubject: Re: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Just focus on eating healthy. You will feel better, look better, and perform better. Opt for a healthy lifestyle, not a fad diet. that's how you lose weight and keep it off for good. Lawrenceville GA Chiropractor
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am

I think for some it does take a little more than 'just' healthy eating. If you work indoors a lot or are in a far north (or south in the southern hemisphere) then getting enough D can be a problem. There are only a handful of foods that are high in vitamin D if you're a vegan, things like mushrooms exposed to UV light...that is not your everyday 'healthy food'. I think some supplementation is necessary for many people whatever their diet. Things like insuring adequate omega-3 EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids), B12 intake (B12, in my view, should be taken by everyone, meateaters, veggies & vegans as low levels are very, very common) & vitamin D is another one of those nutrients (or hormones depending on how you classify it)that is often low. Just look at all the studies coming out from both the UK & US that show time after time that most people have deficiencies or are at sub-clinical deficiency levels. In the western world we don't toil in the fields with the sun on our backs all summer like our forebears, so we simply are not exposed to the sun enough. I do believe in making time to get into the sun (not baking all day on beaches, but some time exposed to direct sunlight, but just as an extra safeguard I do suggest that people can take 1,000-2,000 IU daily just to be safe. If there is concern I suggest getting a vitamin D blood test, it's really easy to get done & is cheap & really lets you know what your blood levels are.
Back to top Go down
alwaysyouthful

PostSubject: Re: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 am

I agree eating healthy doesn't fulfill your health requirements and as far as vegans are considered supplements should be taken to have required amount of vitamins in our body.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bellarosaclinic.com/houston-laser-hair-reduction.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health?   How Much Vitamin D Do We Need for Skeletal Health? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1