Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Vitamin D & muscle strength

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Vitamin D & muscle strength Empty
PostSubject: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 am

With the darker nights (& days around here!) should you add vitamin D to your supplements chest..well this study suggests "yes". I first got wind of this study in this article. Obviously the study is on young girls, but seeing as normal intakes (anything up to 5,000 IU's per day) have no bad effects on the human body, do you want to risk lowering your strength levels as the days get colder? I try to take 3-5,000 IU's per day over the winter (D2). Personally I go for the more expensive, but organic viridian brand of vitamin D, yep there is a vegan D3 available these days, but most research points to D2 & D3 being assimilated at a similar level (albeit slightly different pathways I believe-not 100% of those differences in detail, but I seem to remember there being a slight variation in the method they are utilised?). Anyway here's the abstract of the study.
Basically it found the lower the vit D the lower they tended to be able to jump in this test, implying a loss of muscle power (when matched for height/weight with other girls). It could be other factors as they didn't do the obviously follow-up of introducing vit D & seeing if jumping improved in the lower performers, so you can't say for sure with one study that low D = less muscle power, but you can say there was a correlation in this study & it should be looked at again to decide what levels of vit D produce what results & what level will optimise muscle function (if it turns out that this result is correct), so still a lot to do!
But it's something to consider.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
wongk222

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 1:53 pm

I don't think the sun is shooting out particles of vitamin d so I guess the vitamin in produced in our skin cells, triggered by the absorption of the UV. Is that right or does the sun actually give off vitamin d?
Back to top Go down
Brigham125

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:59 am

Vitamin D is very important for the muscles building and muscles strength.
We must include vitamin D in our diet for good muscles building. The best sources of vitamin D are milk, yogurt, and cheese. Drink more milk, and yogurt for developing your muscles and improving your muscles strength.

Kickboxing classes Maitland

Last edited by Brigham125 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength EmptyThu May 31, 2012 6:53 am

You do not need vitamin D from dairy. Cows get such high levels by being fed supplements, hence you are really only taking supplements that have been put into a cow first. In summer you can go out in the sun for a while, in winter you can eat fortified foods or take a supplement like vitashine for example.

Please remember the rules this site are not to promote the use of meat & dairy - there are 1001 sites where we get that, this is a small space free of the usual meat & dairy propaganda.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
alwaysyouthful

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 am

OK Pete I'll take sunshine and vitashine for having vitamin D and no dairy products. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bellarosaclinic.com/houston-laser-hair-reduction.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vitamin D & muscle strength   Vitamin D & muscle strength Empty

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D & muscle strength
Page 1 of 1