Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Cherries aid recovery?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Cherries aid recovery? Empty
PostSubject: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 am

Apparently so. There have been a few studies now that appear to show that cherries have a small, but measurable effect on muscle recovery. This piece of research can't be taken on its own. Measuring a 5% difference in a leg extension is not the same as say a 5% difference in a squat or deadlift. Having 5% difference between even the same person is pretty easy on that sort of device in my view, but it does seem to be part of a pattern with cherries that could lead us to suspect that cherries or cherry juice may be useful to help recovery when training full-bore?
Quote :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21233776

Montmorency Cherry Juice Reduces Muscle Damage Caused By Intensive Strength Exercise.

Bowtell JL, Sumners DP, Dyer A, Fox P, Mileva KN.

1: Sports and Exercise Science Research Centre, London South Bank University, London, UK 2: UK Anti-Doping, Oceanic House, 1a Cockspur Street, London SW1Y 5BG.
Abstract

PURPOSE: Montmorency cherries contain high levels of polyphenolic compounds including flavonoids and anthocyanins possessing anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. We investigated whether the effects of intensive unilateral leg exercise on oxidative damage and muscle function were attenuated by consumption of a Montmorency cherry juice concentrate using a crossover experimental design.

METHODS: 10 well-trained male overnight fasted athletes completed two trials of 10 sets of 10 single leg knee extensions at 80% one repetition maximum (1RM). Trials were separated by 2 weeks and alternate legs were used in each trial. Participants consumed each supplement (CherryActive®, CA or isoenergetic fruit concentrate, FC) for 7 d prior to and 48h after exercise. Knee extension maximum voluntary contractions (MVC) were performed pre, immediately, 24 and 48h after the damaging exercise. Venous blood samples were collected at each time point and serum analysed for creatine kinase activity (CK), nitrotyrosine, high sensitivity C reactive protein, total anti-oxidant capacity and protein carbonyls (PC). Two way repeated measures ANOVA were used for statistical analysis of the data.

RESULTS: MVC force recovery was significantly faster (24h: 90.9 ± 4.2, CA vs 84.9 ± 3.4, FC; 48h: 92.9±3.3, CA vs 88.5±2.9, FC; % of initial MVC; mean ?SEM; p<0.05) after CA than FC consumption. Only serum CK and PC increased significantly from baseline, peaking 24h after exercise (p<0.001). The exercise-induced increase in CK activity was not different between trials. However, both the percentage (24h post: 23.8±2.9, CA; 82.7±11.7, FC; %; p=0.013) and absolute (24h post: 0.31±0.03, CA; 0.60±0.08, FC; nmol/mg protein; p=0.079) increase in PC was lower in CA than FC trials.

CONCLUSIONS: Montmorency cherry juice consumption improved the recovery of isometric muscle strength after intensive exercise perhaps due to attenuation of the oxidative damage induced by the damaging exercise.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Curious to see that compared with some other berries. This site claims the cherries are special compared to berries:
http://www.montmorencycherryjuice.com/

Anthocyanins 1 and 2 are present in both cherries and raspberries. The yields of pure anthocyanins 1 and 2 in 100 g in cherries and raspberries were the highest of the fruits tested at 26.5 and 24 mg, respectively. Fresh blackberries and strawberries contained only anthocyanin 2 at a total level of 22.5 and 18.2 mg/100 g, respectively; whereas anthocyanins 1 and 2 were not found in bilberries, blueberries, cranberries or elderberries.

I'm dubious but would try it except for the price. I've seen other claims it has to be montmorency, that other cherries aren't so "special".
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 am

Someone would have to supply some actual research to back up that a particular type of cherries (or indeed cherries especially) are better than any other fruit for certain things. I mean it is possible...but I'm less likely to believe stuff on the site put up by cherry growers - that wouldn't be biased would it Laughing

For example I have studies showing that growth hormone increases when in a fasted state - someone could claim something like - fasting makes you grows as it increases growth hormone! but in reality we all know that's not actually true as growth hormone is released during any times the body is under stress (so it increases after training, after an injury, after fasting, it's even possible it may rise after mental stress, although I've seen no studies on that last one), it can only be utilised as a growth aid after physical damage (such as exercise or injury), or of course by growing children. So, the fasting GH does nothing for an adult but aid in holding on to what you've got not help build anything. But there probably are people out there who may well claim that when you fast your GH goes up so you will grow.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 am

Yes, definitely,definitely dubious about the site I linked. And agree with you.

Also though of course skeptical about scientific articles in the first place. From a book I just happened to be reading at the moment, here's a 2000 quote from the Marcia Angell, editor of New England Journal of Medicine:
"The ties between clinical researchers and industry include not only grant support, but also a host of other financial arrangements. Researchers also serve as consultants to companies whose products they are studying, join advisory boards and speakers bureaus, enter into patent and royalty arrangements, agree to be the listed authors of articles ghostwritten by interested companies, promote drugs and devices at company-sponsored symposiums, and allow themselves to be plied with expensive gifts and trips to luxurious setting. Many also have equity interest in the companies."

Some doctors make serious money just from speaking engagements for these "interested" companies.
Back to top Go down
Court

Court

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 12:33 am

We sell cherry juice concentrate at the health food shop I work at. It's called "Joint Juice" and its marketed for arthritis for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. The thing is, since all plants have some antioxidants and most are anti-inflammatory, I personally feel the money would be better spent on more fresh fruit and veg.
I'd like to see the results of repeating this study with the participants increasing their fruit and veg intake in a comparable amount to the quantity of cherry juice used. For all we know, these athletes were living off chicken and whey protein, and adding some plant food might have made a huge anti-inflammatory difference for them, but may not for us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.activatenaturalmedicine.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:37 am

I've been adding cherries to my smoothies and now often just eating a big bowl of thawed out cherries and blueberries together. The two taste much better IMO when put together. I really have no idea if the cherries have made a difference for my knees. They are feeling a bit better lately but there's too many other variables (as usual.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cherries aid recovery?   Cherries aid recovery? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cherries aid recovery?
Page 1 of 1