Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

why you don't need exercise to get thin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

why you don't need exercise to get thin Empty
PostSubject: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 am

This is the new article that's been brought out by Time magazine. See the full article here. basically it looks like the guy is a fan of Gary Taubes (author of Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health). I've not read the whole book (it's big & kind of long winded), but I'll get hold of a copy at some point & finish it up. The idea is, well, low carb, & to prove his point he quotes loads of inappropriate studies that annoy you & says "Look here's the proof". I'm trying to think of examples from memory, but I can't for sure, so we'll leave that, but the article. Well the guy trained & didn't lose any 'weight'. The poor lad couldn't train & eat what he liked...well...der! It's all about calories in & calories out. The weight training is what changes the COMPOSITION of the body, the total lean body mass, not the fat levels as such. The other complaint...well you get hungrier when you train...ok, yea you do, so what, live with it, if you're trying to lose bodyfat (NOT weight!), then yes, you often have to feel hungrier, that's life. Anyone can go from big & fat to skinny-fat (low scale weight, high % of bodyfat), by simply cutting calories. We don't want that we want a high % of muscle mass (yes even you ladies - it's muscle mass that gives you that, so called, 'toned' look).
Look at the article. His post workout was a brownie & a latte! Come on! The guy is not using his brain, not even looked at the basics of nutrition. Sure cutting out carbs will cut his bodyweight...it cuts out a good 60% of the junk food, cuts the calories intake (it's mega-easy to under estimate carbs on your plate). Think about it how much lard, butter & bacon could you stuff into yourself every meal? Less than a plate full of more varieties of food such as potatoes, rice etc. Then what about low carb dessert...um not so many really compared to all the huge calorie cakes, buns, etc etc. You cut out a food group & you've a third less food to choose from right off the bat, so don't claim it's some miracle diet for health, it isn't. Sure you can go from Big & fat to skinny fat easily just by diet. If you want to look like saggy, skinny type then go for it. If you want to go from big & fat to lean & healthy looking, then you add exercise, pick a diet that puts you in a calorie deficit & then keep at it until the weight is off & you look great (then you sort out a maintenance plan to keep you there-which isn't half as tough as getting there in the first place).
I think I've said enough the article annoyed me, it was written by someone who'd read a book & become a fan, then quoting stuff they don't really understand to reach conclusions that aren't right, an exercise in anti-logic that Time magazine should never really have published in my view (unless there aim was to annoy me Laughing !)
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Ben

PostSubject: Re: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:36 am

Have you read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre? I've found it really good. It highlights the importance of evidence-based science, and how some self-proclaimed "nutritionists" are dangerously mis-informed. It also mentions the void between the findings from a published clinical trial, and what the typical "Daily Blargh" ends up reporting. (How are us vegans possibly surviving without oily fish in our diets? It's almost as if the body can adapt to its environment some how Exclamation Rolling Eyes )

I join you in your rant!!
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 am

I've not read Ben Goldacre, but I have read of him. I know he's not really respected out there in internet land & his debunking claims are questioned, but as I said that's the hearsay I know nothing about the guy, but he does write for the Guardian (I just checked) & that's got to go against you Laughing
..but seriously no I've not read

...as a side note, you don't need oily fish it's the essential fatty acids (which again comes from plants) you need, not oily fish, the fish is an easy, concentrated source. It makes little sense that we need sea fish as so many humans live so far from the sea that in our native state many would never even see the sea, let alone eat a fish (or anything else) from it! It seems likely that other sources like nuts & seeds were a major supplier of these fats I'd have thought, & these days they certainly can be (especially hemp & flax seeds), although for athletes who are concerned with maximum performance or those concerned I do suggest a veggie DHA pill as I tend toward the risk/benefit system. There appears no risk in taking a pill or 2 of DHA, but potentially it might effect long-term performance with improved long-term health (whether that is potential improved joint health, potential improved immune function etc?), so I suggest it as an option.
Back to top Go down
Ben

PostSubject: Re: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 am

probably didn't come across in type... I was being facetious about the oily fish! I know that there are other sources of EFAs out there and that vegans are perfectly capable of gaining all the nutrients they need. I just worry about the importance put on one or two specific chemicals and the over-stated claims that the press attaches to them...

I need to find an emoticon for sarcasm!!

Cheers

B
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:09 am

We've got no emoticon for sarcasm:!:

..ah haa.. we do...sorta isn't 'razz' kinda like sarcasm Razz ..sorta Question - ok it's to tease - I just looked it up, but it's close enough for us to adopt it as our emoticon for sarcasm & teasing Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why you don't need exercise to get thin   why you don't need exercise to get thin Empty

Back to top Go down

why you don't need exercise to get thin
Page 1 of 1