Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Giving up weights in baseball?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Giving up weights in baseball? Empty
PostSubject: Giving up weights in baseball?   Giving up weights in baseball? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 am

Interesting article here about a baseball team who have moved away from using weights to a move movement based training system. The idea is to train to improve movements that you use doing baseball.
I'm not so sure that's a good idea. A lot of the weight based work is to strengthen areas made weaker, or underused doing a sport. So, if like say a powerlifter came to me to improve their longevity I've start included movements that stretched the pecs & encouraged the shoulders to be pulled back more, shoulder health would be pretty high, I've also strengthen the abs & the CV system. If you play baseball, then train to strengthen baseball moves, I can see injury on the horizon. You actually need to spend time securing the shoulder, working on elbow health, knees & lower back would also be issues I'd consider working on. I'm not saying you ignore movements that strengthen the baseball type movements, but that is only part of the picture I think. Obviously the article may paint only half the picture, they may spend time working on balancing muscle functions etc, but from this I'd be concerned that my big dollar investments (my players) might only have a short shelf life!
I think strengthening the baseball type moves is only half the picture (if that) & general overall balance & strength will help injury-proof a person a lot more that any training that only focusses upon training baseball type moves.

[As a side note I don't claim to know anything about specific baseball training, I'm not a baseball coach]
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com

Giving up weights in baseball?
Page 1 of 1