Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Not much of a bodybuilder

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Konstantin

Not much of a bodybuilder Empty
PostSubject: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 am

Hi everyone!

I'm a weedy runner who occasionally plays with weights and does bodyweight training for leg and upper body strength. I participate at veganfitness.net.

Yesterday I met a vegan bodybuilder at Exeter Christmas Fayre, he was referring to some great vegan bodybuilders and lifters who I didn't know about. We've been working on this page, so if anyone can add to it, please reply to me.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 am

Hi & welcome onboard
My guess is you were talking to James as he lives round those parts these days (you can see him here ). If you want to contact him to get details of the people he mentioned (assuming you meant him), you can contact him via Evolve! Campaigns as he works with them.
On the list you mentioned Tony Gonzales, he isn't vegan Read this review. He is a low animal protein eater, not a vegan. It is myth. He briefly went vegan, but then the team nutritionist convinced him to add in animal products.
What are your goals by the way? Any running events you intend to hit in 2010? Any times you want to beat, we're not all about bodybuilding, we enjoy all athlete endeavour, so let us know what your goals are & how you plan to achieve them.
All the best & looking forward to your posts.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Konstantin

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 6:49 am

Hi Pete,

Yes, that's him! Hopefully he'll check in and recall our conversation.

Re Tony Gonzales, I'll check that, we need to. We cut out all veggies and those we were not convinced about. One high profile strongman would have been great but admitted to occasional cheese so was left out.

My targets for running are mainly speed based. I did a marathon last year and aimed for 3 pbs in 2009 - 10k, 10 mile and Half marathon. I got all 3 by May, including 12 mins off my Hm pb, and have about 6 this year. It's not all due to a switch to veganism as I've been vegan 19 years now. My HM time was 1:33:56, and my next target is the big 1:30. For 10k my pb is 44:52, I think 43:30 is acheivable and am aiming for about 43:00. Maybe another marathon some time.

I do low weight high rep with weights and have devised a test I use with a Z bar - max bicep curls in 10 mins. I just hit my target for 300 at 20kg and want to do 250 x 24kg. Current Pb is about 230. Unorthodox, but it gets a lot of work into 10 mins and keeps those guns looking good while I'm in a Vegan Runners vest!

Training isn't too serious as I'm busy with work, family and campaigning, but I enjoy it and I think it helps to be a healthy vegan among so many tubby meat eaters.

Last edited by Konstantin on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 am

Yea, I've always found it amusing when an out of shape guy (it's usually, but not exclusively, a guy) finds out your vegan then starts going on about how unhealthy it is, you want to say "yep, then I too could have a body like yours, right" Laughing (actually I don't say that, I tend to patiently answer each of their 'arguments' - they are usually a confused mass of sound bites rather than a consistent argument - but I'd very much like to sometimes Twisted Evil ).
Keep us up to date with how your training is going, we need a guy who knows a bit about running on the board, so it would be good if you could hang around here now & again.
I'll contact James & see if he can't be convinced to answer (he doesn't do boards as a rule, but we'll see). If not you can contact him directly & I'm sure he'd write back.
Back to top Go down
Konstantin

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 am

Pete wrote:
On the list you mentioned Tony Gonzales, he isn't vegan Read this review. He is a low animal protein eater, not a vegan. It is myth.

Shocked

I thought we had some good references:

Article
Film
Press article

Maybe we'll take him out. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 9:14 am

Well there's:
This
Quote :
Because he eats fish and occasionally has organic chicken, Gonzalez isn't a true vegetarian. He's a flexitarian who views vegetables as the main course. He says he often cooks for his family, because, well, his wife Tobie is "quasi on-board."

Also if you look at the book you'll see he states it's a low animal protein he approves, not a vegan diet. Also his supplement company markets grass fed whey protein along with a plant based protein, you can check that out here

Also numerous articles stating he still takes fish oil & does still eat animal products on occasion.
Back to top Go down
Konstantin

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Gonzales is coming off.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not much of a bodybuilder   Not much of a bodybuilder Empty

Back to top Go down

Not much of a bodybuilder
Page 1 of 1