Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

gluten bad?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jordan

jordan

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 pm

There is a lot of hype about gluten and a variety of different findings. Many say its bad for the body since it's sticky and sticks to the lining of your intestines and reduces nutrient absorbtion. I've heard other articles that either gluten is 100% bad if you are intollerant to it, or 100% fine if your one of the normal 95% of the population. I'm just wondering if there is any kind of limit where it starts being dentrimental to your health. I started preparing seitan (wheat gluten) since its an alternative to tufu. It is cheap and convinient to make and super high in protein (70g protien per 350 calories). But being pure gluten it can't be too good for you. I usually try to have it only once per day, in addition to the regular bread or pasta I should eat.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm not expert on the subject, but I do read a lot about bread, and about gluten, and so forth.
As you posted, there seems to be a small percentage of people who are allergic to gluten. But the rest of us don't have anything to worry about.
"Factory" bread--pretty much all of what is sold in the U.S., has the nutritional value of wall paper paste.
"Artisan" bread, as sold in specialty bakeries, may be quite a bit better than "factory" manufactured bread, however be warned that the "artistic" aspect of those breads may be only cosmetic or architectural.

As you may have already suspected, I am pushing you toward making your own breads. If you make your own bread you know what the ingredients are, and you have a basis upon which to evaluate how these may affect your body.
"...Many say its [gluten is] bad for the body since it's sticky and sticks to the lining of your intestines..."
Naugh, I don't think so. I've never heard of any food that does that.

Let me welcome you to the kitchens of those of us who bake bread. There are a lot of recopies to be found online if you go hunting, and many more that you will develop on your own. Most will be better for you and a lot better in taste.
Homemade bread scores 12 - 15 percent higher in protein than Pasty-Whoopy bread from the store. Pasta and noodles are the same.

Welcome home.

Back to top Go down
jordan

jordan

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Ok, I've never had problems with gluten before and seitan is fine for me. I usually try to have it with quinoa or something gluten free so I don't get too much gluten at once. As for bread I usually go to a bakery to get bread, and I usually get flax, whole wheat or multigrain. I used to get this one "super protein" bread, but once I became vegan I couldn't eat it since they add whey, cassien and extra egg white to it. I've been thinking about making my own bread for some time since the "hearty" bakery bread is quite expensive. But pasta on the other hand seems like a lot of work to make. Of course it would be nice to be able to make your own because then you could make buckwheat spaghetti, spelt pasta, etc which is much healthier than wheat.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Here's a typical pasta recipe from the web:

Homemade Pasta

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1/2 cup semolina durum flour
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt (optional)

Directions:

Combine the above ingredients to make a dough. You may have to add more flour if it is too wet. Wrap in a towel and let sit for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes, start the water boiling. Divide the dough in half and roll out each half, allowing the first sheet of pasta to sit while rolling out the second.

When the sheets are dryish, cut according to how you like your pasta.

The pasta maker recommends rolling, and folding in half before re-rolling. After rolling, you are supposed to sprinkle some flour betwixt the two halves. If you create a dry enough dough, then you do not need to do this. In fact, the first time through the rollers, my dough is pretty crumbly at the edges, but a few more passes makes the dough much more workable.

Cook for about 2 minutes.

For variations you can blend tomatoes, spinach, or garlic and basil to create flavored pasta.
Back to top Go down
jordan

jordan

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Does it keep well after it's made? if you were to freeze it would it still be the same when thawed and cooked at a later date? I usually like to cook a lot of stuff and then freeze or refrigorate it so I can eat whenever I'm hungry and not worry about cooking. I would also have to buy a pasta roller... is it possible to make it purely by hand or is it way too much work that way? Also I hear that kamut or buckwheat is a good alternative to wheat flour, does this also make good pasta?
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 am

Yes, home made pasts keeps pretty well. You can freeze it, or it can be dried--we sometimes rig string "clothes lines" around the kitchen, drape the strands of posta on the strings, and let the pasta dry for a couple of days. It cooks in a few minutes in boiling water.

We do own a pasta machine, but I rarely use it. Usually I roll the dough with a rolling pin, then cut the strands with a knife.

Alternatives to wheat flour? Unlike bread, pasta doesn't have to rise, so other flours that don't rise well should be okay for pasta. I've made pasta that is half whole wheat flour, and I'd suppose that kamut or buckwheat would work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gluten bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: gluten bad?   gluten bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

gluten bad?
Page 1 of 1