Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Memory Lane

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

Grayfox

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 6:28 am

Recently I was sorting through some papers and happened to find one of my old log books. It’s a 3-ring binder with pages of workout routines copied from various bodybuilding sources. Such things as “Frank Zane’s 3-Day Split,” “J. J. Marsh’s Back Workout,” the log is filled with names like Troy zuccolotto, Doug Larson, Gene Mozee, and Lee Haney. Kind of a walk down memory lane.

However the reason I’m posting this under “Injuries” instead of “Training Logs,” is that one of the pages is from somebody or other’s “Power and Bulk Routine.” The directions say that the lifter should be working with near-max weights, and that failure should come at about five reps. Evidently I tried to pursue this program for a while--my marginal comments indicate how successful I was:

“Ouch!” “Damn DOMS!” “Hurt my back again!” “Today skip anything that involves bending over.” “muscle strains aren’t fun…” and so forth.

The moral to this story seems to be that although progressive training is basic to the sport, it isn’t wise to try to train way beyond our ability. Also, we should keep in mind that when bodybuilders’ routines are published in magazines it is because those guys are champions, and they do things way beyond those of us who are amateurs. It’s probably true that there is more benefit in lifting lighter but with good form, than turning the workout into a power-lifting exercise.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 am

What I remember from most of those guys is they did a ton of volume and forgot to mention that they took steriods, growth hormone, insulin and who knows what all else. I wasted a couple years trying to workout like they claimed they did. (I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even actually workout like they claimed.)
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 am

Yeah.
For example, Dorian Yates claimed to work out only 45 minutes a day, three exercises for each body part, using HUGE weights.
Yates was the size of a house! ...and probably taking a pharmacopeia of drugs.

Oh, here's a site that outlines Yates' workout:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/category/mab-workouts/body-building-workouts
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:08 am

I remember reading about Yates low volume routine way back when he was the top guy in bbing. But he was an exception at the time. Most of those guys were doing 25 sets per bodypart.

I remember also hearing about him having scar tissue removed from his butt that was there in the first place because of a "motorcyle accident." And at his last Olympia he ripped his tricep muscle off (and still won.)

I think heavy with low volume is probably a much better idea than high volume, but you have to ultimately do what you're body can stand.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 am

Dorian ended up a mess & had to back off training for years. I think he could train so hard so often thanks to the drugs, but couldn't get the tendons & ligaments the same boost & so over the years...well you get the picture. I think for drug-free guys shorter routines do work well, as you can work hard, but if you go beyond your recovery you know about it pale so it is self moderating to an extent that drug-takers don't get (not that you can't still hurt yourself being extra keen).
I do know a guy who has great leg muscular endurance & worked out with Tom Platz when he visited England once. He managed half a leg workout with him before he had to bow out. He still couldn't move throughout the whole second half of Platz's workout, the guy was apparently a beast who just worked & worked on legs, set after set for several hours (not light either). Apparently Tom is really cool & polite but in the gym he turns kind of insane pushing well beyond what most of us can do (yes there are drugs involved for this kind of leg development).
Memory Lane Tom_platzMemory Lane 071103_tomplatz4Memory Lane Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkvK27PbIboyw-j0qlk5RE5IVUXxEfff9h5zctGduMg5ek6eyRzQMemory Lane Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdO0bZxoJfq68LZXkyRbiX98-sQlnKAzWOQXIvDF8z9mPLgcSY9g
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 am

He would look better if his waist was thinner. They all would. That's growth hormone though I guess.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:26 am

Yea, I prefer the older look myself as well. I know this makes me sound old, but they all look the same these days!

You seem to have 2 choices - either you go the drug-routine & get massively bloated, or you go the drug-free route which is slowly turning into a 'see how skinny you can get' contest. It's all about conditioning & nothing about size.
Compare that to a Steve Reeves

Memory Lane Mahler109_c

John Grimek

Memory Lane JohnGrimek

Steve Stanko

Memory Lane Sh4712

John Davies
Memory Lane 0000

Right up to:

Frank Zane

Memory Lane FrankZane2

& a few other 70's bodybuilders - beyond that it got a little too druggie for them to look so good - much bigger, but not such a good shape.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Memory Lane Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memory Lane   Memory Lane Empty

Back to top Go down

Memory Lane
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Injury & rehab-
Jump to: