Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor Empty
PostSubject: Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor   Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 am

Just a small article I found about a women's first contest as a vegan figure competitor. As a constructive critique she needs more muscle mass, figure competitors needs shoulder caps etc for a decent showing. She's also got slightly too much fat for stage. Given a bit more training & a tighter diet she could do really well, but in this photo I'd say 'beach body', not 'contest body'. Which doesn't mean she looks bad, just not what I'd look for if I was judging.

Quote :

http://www.airdrieecho.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3172023#

Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor 43697

Airdrie woman competes in Calgary fitness competition
By James Emery/Senior Reporter
Posted 1 day ago

As a vegan, Keela Biggs thought she would be at a big disadvantage.

The 23-year-old Airdrie woman was looking for a fitness goal and decided that participating at the International Drug Free Athletics' (IDFA) Calgary Classic competition would be a good goal to set.

But she was concerned she wouldn't get enough protein.

"It is harder because most people eat chicken," Biggs explained. "So I went to a nutritionist who helped me design a meal plan around (being a vegetarian)."

So for six days a week, Biggs trained several hours a day with local fitness guru Jay Raymundo, from NRG Fitness.

"I just designed the workout program for her and was there to spot her and things, but she was the one that was calling me, asking me to work out with her every day," Raymundo said.

The goal was to get to the IDFA competition that is known for its strict drug testing.

So last month, Biggs finally got her chance and attended the May 7 event at Mount Royal College.

"You have to go out on stage in front of a bunch of people, so I was nervous about it," Biggs said. "It was a really good experience, I learned a lot. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be."

And while her walks and quarter turns didn't sway judges enough for her to place at the competition, it was still worthwhile, Biggs maintains.

Especially since her training with Raymundo paid off.

"He motivated me a lot," she said. "A lot of times, you're so tired and you're working so hard it's difficult to keep pushing. He pushed me harder."

Raymundo said Biggs was an inspiration.

"She's got a lot of heart and she's the type of person that won't give up," he said. "She was hesitant at the beginning, being a vegan and having limited protein source and ability to build muscle."

Biggs isn't sure, however, if she would enter a competition again.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Grayfox

Grayfox

Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor   Lack of chicken doesn't scare off vegan competitor EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Aww...
She's pretty. And has a nice smile too.
And she's brave as two tigers to have the courage to enter a competition that puts it all on the line.

But you're right, Pete, she's not ready for serious competition yet.
body building isn't a young person's sport
(I keep telling myself, having not yet reached my prime).
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1