Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

How can I get my shins to stop hurting?

Go down 
+3
Pete
Grayfox
james234
7 posters
AuthorMessage
james234

How can I get my shins to stop hurting? Empty
PostSubject: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:21 am

I am currently training for fitness and figure competitions. So far my body has responded well to everything...except when it comes to running and the treadmill. The pain in my shins is unbareable and I have to keep stopping which makes my trainter yell at me Rolling Eyes. Some say it is shin splints and others say its not and that I just need to work through the pain. It gets so bad I end up feeling like I have 90 lbs bricks attached to the bottom of my feet and like I am stomping. Which I actually think I am because my steps are very loud. Can someone anyone pleas help me to get this solved. I hate feeling defeted or like I can not do something and this really bothers me.

Thank you for any suggestions

Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am

Check this for further information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Stop running, you're probably increasing the damage.
You can't train through this, seek the advice of a good PT.
Fire your trainer.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 am

You could well have shin splits - they may be caused by improper running (as a person who had to relearn I know it's more common than you think). I'd switch to the bike or other low impact device, get going with some flexibility movements in the heel & foot area...work the shin area - in this case, if you have the funds I'd really consider getting hold of a DARD

But before you do invest get yourself checked out by a doctor as it's obviously not right. Assuming it is shin splints the change from pounding the treadmill & the inclusion of shin exercises should help. After that I would consider checking out your running form, running should not be loud, you should land fairly lightly. I personally found the book Explosive running to be a great resource that taught me enough that I could correct an on-going knee & hip issue & get back to running.
But listen to your body, it's screaming at you "No! you're doing something wrong!!!" so I would suggest you listen to it before you end up with a more serious issue.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Don't land on your heels for example. Try to run in shoes using the same form you'd run barefoot in. Which hopefully means not landing hard on your heels. And in the short term take a break from running of course. They have special shoes meant to ensure one runs as if they're barefoot.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefooting/barefoot_running.cfm
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Jay wrote:
Don't land on your heels for example. Try to run in shoes using the same form you'd run barefoot in. Which hopefully means not landing hard on your heels. And in the short term take a break from running of course. They have special shoes meant to ensure one runs as if they're barefoot.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefooting/barefoot_running.cfm

Also hasn't running on grass been mentioned on these forums? I think so. Good topic.

------------------

I've got to say, I feel like the "sweatiest" exercise compared to running are the stair steppers.

You've got the stair steppers that are like an actual stair case but there's also those stair steppers, same maker, where you just go up and down on the two pedals. Running for many people is hard including me and even some runners from forums I've read don't quite like treadmills.

Pete gave an intriguing answer about relearning how to run. I have heard this before and I think I'll start up a forum conversation on the subject.

Chi Running: https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com/other-training-f6/chi-running-running-t408.htm#1614
Back to top Go down
LightInHeart

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 12:44 am

think so too, it's good

Back to top Go down
Firthfatu

Firthfatu

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 2:10 pm

I found it useful!Great information!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I get my shins to stop hurting?    How can I get my shins to stop hurting? Empty

Back to top Go down

How can I get my shins to stop hurting?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Training with weights-
Jump to: