Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

More about competition diets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rosie723

More about competition diets Empty
PostSubject: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 pm

I would like to see more about what competitive bodybuilders eat to lean out before a competition. calories, macros etc. I am trying to do this and having a difficult time.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:57 am

I'm sure some people would be happy to put up their stuff - the main issue is often you don't feel like doing ANYTHING as the dieting starts to hurt, let alone write up everything. I know Robbie (Hazeley - the vegan bodybuilder) has put up a few of his diets over the years on the VBB website here's his pages
Also Pat Reeves (the powerlifter) did compete as a bodybuilder for several years (you can ask here any questions directly on her thread here Maybe some others would like to put up some of their diets?
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
morg

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 am

Check out here for some good bodybuilding diet info
http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_soyfree

And I believe there are bits on precontest diets on some of the profiles here
http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bios
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 am

We did sort out Rosie's diet on the Vegan Bodybuilding email list. From 5 wks out she finally started losing the fat & pulling it together. She came 7th (I seem to remember) & I suspect if she'd had longer she to prepare & tweak she would have cracked the top 5. I haven't seen pictures, but from her description she might actually do better in the new 'physique' class that is coming out in 2011 (the look they are after is for 'harder' condition than figure - kind of like a bodybuilding women who is drug-free & has good genetics). It's a shame she had most of her diet ruined by a trainer who should have said they had no idea how to get a vegan ready for contest as from her updates she seemed to move towards contest condition without too much trouble once she get a few tips (as I've not seen pictures I can' say for sure, but I'd guess she probably wasn't 100% on stage & could have upped her placing if she'd had a decent trainer onboard to keep the condition improving throughout her diet)
Back to top Go down
mizzfail

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

The most difficult aspect of a bodybuilding competition is the competition diet. A workout may last one or two hours but a competition diet is in effect 24 hours a day. Willpower is mandatory if you intend to be successful at a bodybuilding competition.

The ultimate goal of a competition diet is to lose the maximum amount of body fat while maintaining the maximum amount of lean muscle mass. However some muscle loss is to be expected during this process. The ratio is typically 1 pound of muscle lost with every 3 pounds of body fat lost.

Most bodybuilders begin a competition diet 8 to 12 weeks out from the competition show date. Some experienced bodybuilders will find 4 to 6 weeks to be sufficient because they know how their body is going to react to the competition diet or certain competition diet changes.

It is important that progress is monitored daily, especially in the final weeks before the bodybuilding competition show. If body fat is not being shed at an acceptable rate then cardio exercise needs to be increased. If possible, it is best to do cardiovascular exercise first thing in the morning. It is a personal preference if early morning cardio is done with an empty stomach or after eating a small snack to avoid low blood sugar levels and fatigue. However, it is best to let the competition diet do the cutting and not excessive cardio exercise.

Many bodybuilding competitors experiment with varying diet regimens and changes during the last week of the competition diet. Some examples such as fat loading, carbohydrate loading, sodium loading and sodium depletion are all tricks of the trade. Each is intended to increase muscle density and fullness and maximum vascularity while maintaining a very low body fat percentage. This is known as “peaking.”

Peak condition can only be maintained for a very short period of time, from one day to several days at the most; therefore it is critical that peak condition be reached ideally during the morning of the bodybuilding competition, this is when the pre-judging phase takes place. Any miscalculations and the body may peak the day before or the day after the competition.

This is a sample competition diet of the week prior to a competition, with the event taking place on Saturday.

Monday
Food: A minimum of 6 small meals. All meals contain protein from a variety of sources. Complex, high fiber carbohydrates until mid-afternoon, protein only from mid-afternoon to bedtime. Try to eat every 2 hours.

Water: 1 to 2 gallons of sodium free water.

Supplement: 5 grams of L-Glutamine 4 times daily.

Tuesday Same as above.

Wednesday
Food: Same as Monday however carbohydrates should be reduced slightly. Absolutely no refined flour, rice, sugar, etc. Good sources of carbs are yams (no butter), carrots, leafy green lettuce and similar vegetables.

Water: Take in up to 3 gallons of water.

Supplement: Potassium tablet 4 times daily. 5 grams of L-Glutamine 4 times daily.

Thursday
Food: Same as Wednesday however sodium should be cut dramatically. Read labels, nearly everything contains sodium. Do your shopping in advance to be ready for this time. To be sure of low sodium I will boil chicken breast in distilled water at this time and use no condiments containing salt.

Water: Try to take in 2 gallons.

Supplement: Potassium tablet 4 times daily. 5 grams of L-Glutamine 4 times daily.

Friday
Food: Same as Thursday with extra careful attention to sodium. Keep this as low as possible.

Water: Reduce water to ½ gallon taken between morning and 6:00 PM. Sip sparingly and only as needed from 6:00 PM on.

Saturday
Food: Very small meals only. No sodium. Many competitors will take raw honey and natural peanut butter back stage with them for quick energy and muscle fullness.

Water: Small sips only as needed. At this point the body should be dropping water very rapidly.

The abdominals should be defined, allover muscular definition and vascularity should be high. Reaching this peak level is a delicate balance; do not try anything new at this point to alter the body’s appearance.

Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 am

I believe I've seem this post before mizzfail Very Happy Let me go google......

Oh yea you must have put the same thing up on competition diet as it's there & it looks like a very slightly modified version is up at extreme nutrition you have been busy putting this everywhere
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More about competition diets   More about competition diets Empty

Back to top Go down

More about competition diets
Page 1 of 1