Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Accident waiting to happen...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

Grayfox

Accident waiting to happen... Empty
PostSubject: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 am

I was tempted to post this under Injury and Rehab, but the injury hasn't happened yet.

The other day I dropped in on a gym in town: everybody there could handle more weight than I can, so I was kinda impressed... until I watched them bench-pressing.
They had an Olympic bar and plates in an old but serviceable cage, but the safety bars were set too low, and some of the lifters were bouncing the bar off of their chests as they pumped.
Usually I don't give unasked-for advice but this looked scary so I suggested that they raise the safety bars by at least one notch--they poo-pooed this idea. I mentioned Stafon Johnson's accident, and they said that was the spotter's fault (these guys were working without spotters).
Finally I suggested that they place an empty barbell across the safety bars and try to crawl under it without touching...the two who tried it couldn't get under without lifting the bar at least six inches...which they found amusing.

As I left I looked back and could see the safety bars still too low, and the next lifter bouncing a 350 pound loaded bar off of his chest.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 pm

It's a little late, so I hope my terminology is at least apt to understand.

On the leg sled, I can put 6 X 45 lbs. on each side, so that is about 270 lbs per side, 540 total but I just pump it but not all the way, I can take 90 lbs off each side and it's then easy.

I once met, honest to gosh, this ex-boxer from El Salvador, he was light so I think in boxing, it meant he was in the feather or bantam weight, we stacked it one time, I think pushed nearly 1000 pounds! And yet, he is around 5 feet I'd say.

As to GreyFox's story, I think people must have been thinking, "who's the busy body"? Wink I'm just kidding, I've stepped into situations where I question the safety of those involved before.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

PhysCultureFan wrote:

...As to GreyFox's story, I think people must have been thinking, "who's the busy body"? Wink I'm just kidding, I've stepped into situations where I question the safety of those involved before.
True...I've never found a situation in which anyone wants constructive criticism.
I once made the mistake of correcting the lifting form of a young lady in the gym. As I was pointing out what she was doing wrong she gracefully slid into a full-splits on the gym floor and said sweetly, "Why don't you try this and I'll tell you what's wrong with your form..."

Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:11 pm

It's a tough call. Most people see things in gyms a lot & they want to go over & mention an error - I think we've all learnt to keep our mouths shut as you're right GF people do not want to know - one day, when they have torn a pec ( a common side effect of 'bouncing' the bar) then they will probably think to themselves "Why didn't someone warn me that this could happen!"..personally I'd like advice...ok mid-squat someone popping up & chatting about form wouldn't be good, but once I'd finished & they come over & say something, especially if I'm doing something dum (admit it, we've all done dum stuff!), then I'd be glad - ok I might not be smiling because someone's saying "You're being a dumb-arse" - well they're not, but it feels like it. But later you'd certainly look back & think "Thank goodness I met that person, my [fill in the limb, muscle or tendon] isn't destroyed & I can continue training!".
But yea, we all pretty much stand silent & cringe in the gym as we know advice is generally not welcome in the gym.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Pete wrote:
It's a tough call. Most people see things in gyms a lot & they want to go over & mention an error - I think we've all learnt to keep our mouths shut as you're right GF people do not want to know - one day, when they have torn a pec ( a common side effect of 'bouncing' the bar) then they will probably think to themselves "Why didn't someone warn me that this could happen!"..personally I'd like advice...ok mid-squat someone popping up & chatting about form wouldn't be good, but once I'd finished & they come over & say something, especially if I'm doing something dum (admit it, we've all done dum stuff!), then I'd be glad - ok I might not be smiling because someone's saying "You're being a dumb-arse" - well they're not, but it feels like it. But later you'd certainly look back & think "Thank goodness I met that person, my [fill in the limb, muscle or tendon] isn't destroyed & I can continue training!".
But yea, we all pretty much stand silent & cringe in the gym as we know advice is generally not welcome in the gym.

I don't carry on too much with American Football/Gridiron some call it but I heard a player tore his pec in training camp and won't be playing for months now. Serious.

Oh know, it was Pete's 666th post Shocked

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/iron_maiden_number_of-the-beast.jpg

Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 am

Wow yea good call - 666 the number of the pec tear Laughing Laughing Laughing

Iron maiden! I saw them at the monsters of rock in Donnington (race track) decades ago, awesome Cool
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accident waiting to happen...   Accident waiting to happen... Empty

Back to top Go down

Accident waiting to happen...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Training with weights-
Jump to: