Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Beetroot juice boost for muscles

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Beetroot juice boost for muscles Empty
PostSubject: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Here's a link for an interesting article about beetroot. Basically it seems beetroot may raise nitric oxide levels - I'm not sure it would make a great deal of difference, but maybe an elite endurance athlete would benefit a bit. No reason why you shouldn't include beetroot in your diet - Although I personally wouldn't include beetroot juice as I think it tastes vile (unless it did wonders for performance)!
I'll paste the text below:

Quote :

Yesterday, 02:22 pm
Press Assoc.

Beetroot juice boosts stamina by making muscles more fuel-efficient, scientists have found.

Last year the same researchers reported that the red vegetable juice can increase physical endurance.

The study focused on men aged 19 to 38 cycling on exercise bikes. Drinking half a litre of beetroot juice a day for a week enabled them to cycle 16% longer before getting tired out.

Now the scientists believe they understand how the beetroot boost works.

The new research showed that drinking beetroot juice doubled the amount of nitrate in the blood of volunteers, and reduced the rate at which muscles used their main source of energy.

Beetroot juice helped muscles work more efficiently and lowered their oxygen uptake. The same effect was seen during both low-intensity and high-intensity exercise.

Study leader Professor Andy Jones, from the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences, said: "While our previous research demonstrated the benefits of nitrate-rich beetroot juice on stamina, our latest work indicates that this is consequent to a reduced energy cost of muscle force production.

"Since our first study came out we have seen growing interest in the benefits of drinking beetroot juice in the world of professional sport and I expect this study to attract even more attention from athletes."

The scientists believe nitrate from beetroot juice leads to increased levels of nitric oxide in the body, which affects a range of biological functions including blood flow, hormone levels and cell signalling.

The new findings are published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 am

The muscle smoke mirrors author said he drinks this daily, I believe mixed with a 'greens' powder. I think I'll pick some up if I ever see it.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 pm

A rather late update - apparently it does do wonders for your performance! 16% or so increase in exercise duration affraid
I'll add some articles & a couple of study links. Way too much to copy & paste it all (& I'm watching the Ed Coan DVD set right now - I know, not the best idea to watch one of the worlds greatest powerlifters when you've got a recovering back Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, the articles (a lot focus on the UK exeter study):

BBC news
NHS (blood pressure)
Natural news
Ezine
My Way
Eurekalert

Studies

The Exeter study (full text)
Effects with moderate exercise
Effects with walking & running

So, there you go a LOT of articles, but actually when you look at it very few actual studies. Most focus on one study (the Exeter study), simply because it had such a profound effect. I'd like to see some repeats, comparing one fruit juice with another & other variations to confirm that it is beetroot juice alone or a number of juices that may have a similar effect & to confirm the effect actually occurred of course.

Final note - if this pans out in other studies it looks like I might have to start getting beetroot juice whatever my personal taste is No pale if you're looking at 16% or so increases in training duration that's nothing to sneeze at!
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't believe this was posted as a link, have no idea if this is a money making outfit or what.... in fact, it looks like a website that may have a commercial angle but is not overtly so.... or maybe it is a magazine but I've never seen it.

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/benefits-of-beet-juice.html
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't really like sites that say things like "cancer prevention". You cannot actually prevent cancer by taking any food or product. You can alter your chances, but as you don't know your chances because there are so many variables, you can only know that you are doing what you can to lessen your chances, not actually prevent cancer which is a VERY different thing.

Some sites get carried away with products, supplements or food items cheers
Back to top Go down
Fintessguy

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:54 am

Our food scientists have concluded this is true, they say the increase in nitrogen in the muscles give you extra stamina. I quite like the taste personally!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pro-10.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beetroot juice boost for muscles   Beetroot juice boost for muscles Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1