Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Steroids cause kidney damage?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Steroids cause kidney damage? Empty
PostSubject: Steroids cause kidney damage?   Steroids cause kidney damage? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 am

Here's an article from the NY Times (look at the video about halfway down on the left). This has me in 2 minds. They searched out 10 bodybuilders with kidney issues then tried to link it to 'steroids'.
If you think about that statement it's very vague. It's like me saying I searched out 10 pharmaceutical drug users (drugs prescribed by their doctors) & then tried to prove 'pharmaceuticals' do this..not a single medicine or combination, but the whole field of prescription drugs!
It might be true that maybe a single steroid, or combination does do this, but bodybuilders take all sorts of stuff, not just steroids & there are many, many types of steroids. Also they eat a whole ton of protein, a whole ton of calories in general &not always healthy food when trying to bulk they often pile in junk...to single out steroids would need a whole raft of studies & proofs, not just one study of 10 guys who happened to take steroids & happened to have this kidney disease. What about the people who don't take steroids but get this disease, what about the other thousands that do take steroids, but don't get kidney issues.
You'd need to get a lot of studies to work out what's going on & the only way would be to know what people are taking & what it's doing. I'm not saying steroids don't have negative effects, looking at the benefits in size & strength these people get you know that if there was no downside then humans would already produce hormones in that quantity. But we really don't know that much. There does appear to be some cardiovascular damage, but that could be down to being so damn big, the heart & lungs struggle to feed the beast as much as steroids directly, it could increase the effects of any cancers possibly? Maybe even shorten life somewhat, might be possible (you 'wear out' quicker?). But to use this study as 'proof' that steroids cause kidney damage is a bit 'cherry picked data' for me to find credible. Maybe it does increase your odds of getting kidney disease, but with only 10 case found with the 1000's of bodybuilders, powerlifters, strongmen & athletes out there using steroids it's not exactly going to make many using athletes think twice about it I'd have thought?
Shame they can't run some studies in countries where it is legal & get some real results sorted out as it would be nice to have facts to give to our steroid using comrades in the gym.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
clinton

clinton

PostSubject: Re: Steroids cause kidney damage?   Steroids cause kidney damage? EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 5:08 pm

and also there are hundreds of different types some worse than others, and some even good for the kidneys. The main problem why I cannot take them is the aggresive attitude, the shrunken gonads, and the mood swings. Anavar was ok but to mild to do anything, and in high enough dose was bad for my stomach. Primobolan was ok too, but in high enough doses gave me depression. Even some natural products make me sick, such as forskeline. For the me the best advantage in the gym is to get past the pain barrier and get high on the endorphin release, and a very healthy nutritious diet.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steroids cause kidney damage?   Steroids cause kidney damage? EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 am

Yes I agree, steriods aren't the only commonality.
Back to top Go down
alwaysyouthful

PostSubject: Re: Steroids cause kidney damage?   Steroids cause kidney damage? EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 am

Of course you cannot generalize the result of any study taking only 10 people as their sample.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bellarosaclinic.com/houston-laser-hair-reduction.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steroids cause kidney damage?   Steroids cause kidney damage? Empty

Back to top Go down

Steroids cause kidney damage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Supplements-
Jump to: