Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Will the US lose small farmers?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Will the US lose small farmers? Empty
PostSubject: Will the US lose small farmers?   Will the US lose small farmers? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 am

I'm in the UK, so I've been following this from a distance, but I thought a few of you in the US must be getting concerned about a couple of new bills going through right now. Basically the big corporations like monsanto are making a grab to control the food throughout the US. It's a scary thought that a few big companies can so quickly get into a position where they can get hold of a countries food supply & impose their ideas about food on everyone!
If you live in the US I would strongly suggest that you pop over to this site & fill in a fax (there are reasons for using a fax, snail mail is shredded, emails deleted, but faxes have to be catalogued & stored for several years, so it makes sense to fax). The faxes are free to send & the letter is done for you if you don't want to write.
As an example of how bad the laws being proposed are. If you grow, say tomatoes in your garden & go & buy fertilizer, now you want to give a few away to your friends...well actually my friend your garden is now classified as a farm & it is now your responsibility to keep records of who ate your fruit, how much they ate & how much you ate yourself, how big the crop was etc etc! Yep, even growing your own can cause you to be classified as a farm & have to fill out massive paperwork that will basically cripple any small farm & only support the big big agro-firms (who deal in bulk shipments to big companies). If this passes expect farmers markets to disappear, expect small farmers to follow (with the loss of a great deal of organic farm produce). It's a frightening scenario. On top of that it also takes the US closer to stopping your choices about vitamins & minerals available in health food shops - you want to lose higher potency vitamin & mineral pills - well they're on their way out if these bills get through as well!
So, if you're in the US I'd consider spending 1 minute of your time helping to make this bill go away.
To voice your opposition go here & take a moment to fax your representative if you're in the US.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

Will the US lose small farmers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will the US lose small farmers?   Will the US lose small farmers? EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 3:15 am

Not enough info about just what is in the bills... Although it's probably too late at this point anyway. Of course they have been destroying smaller farms for many years now. It's just cheaper to have a massive farm and the smaller one's have been driven out of business. Been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma which is a great book on the subject of industrialized farming. Even "organic" by the way is still industrialized farming for the most part these days.
Back to top Go down

Will the US lose small farmers?
Page 1 of 1