Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

a big hello

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
phenix

phenix

a big hello Empty
PostSubject: a big hello   a big hello EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 am

Just joined this fab forum and wanted to say a BIG hello.........HELLO Very Happy
Im vegan,43,married and have 4children and 3 (soon to be 4) grandchildren. my husband is a bodybuilder (not vegan) I used to bodybuild many years ago before my children were born but since then I have done little 'training' in that area. I am very interested in bodybuilding again, which is why I joined this forum....
Am I too old to start at 43??
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

a big hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: a big hello   a big hello EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 am

Nope you're NEVER too old to start!
I'll be honest the gains will be slower & the keeping the waistline in check as you get lifting heavier will also be more of a task, but as you're older you've probably developed more discipline than a younger person & you have the advantage that when I say "That will take a year" you've got the patience to accept that, not go gung-ho & try one of those useless 50 pounds in 4 weeks junk routines that are out there. I know over 50's who still compete & over 60's who still hit the powerlifting platform so it can be done.
The things you will have to do are devote more time at the start to myofascial release stuff stuff (foam rolling etc) & warm-ups (a mixure of Dynamic Warm-up & mobility), also be slightly more cautious about recovery & speed of progression as everything responds just a little bit more slowly than a 20 year old.
Above I added links for examples, you don't have to do exactly as written, basically you find the stuff you are especially bad at. So for the foam roller you'll find the places that are most sensitive & really work on those, the rest can be done every now & again just to make sure no new tender spots have developed. For the dynamic war-up & mobility you can either alternate every now & again, or again pick the stuff you are worst at, then throw in other stuff now & again, just see that nothing new develops. These warm-up sessions are kind of like partly to warm you up, but partly corrective work, fixing issues before they become injuries.
At mid-forties I don't even consider you an 'older' lifter, you are in lifting terms still not even halfway through as lifting is a lifetime activity. I expect many people to still be hitting the stage or platform beyond their 80's.
Training will depend upon your goals. If you're talking contest, then which 'branch' of female contest are you interested in as figure is different from bodybuilding or bikini for example, so your goal will have to determine your training, but as a general rule shorter times spent more intensely will produce better results than hours spent chatting with the odd set thrown in (time in 'the gym' doesn't matter, it's work done & intensity achieved that matter over the long haul)
Nutrition & some supplements will also play a part. You may need to consider taking EFA's (essential fatty acids). First thing AM I suggest you get some form of ALA into you like ground flax, walnuts or hemp seeds, I'd also consider taking a DHA/EPA pill later in the day some time (whenever is convenient for you). You can get these made from algae (where the fish get their fats from), but whereas many fish people eat are predatory, so toxins can build pretty high (& toxins are stored in fats & liver) algae is the very bottom of the food chain & so toxins are the most dilute, so I consider it a safer as well as a more ethical option. Next up if you are taking a protein shake I would also include some form of green supplement, you just get added nutrition by adding a spoonful of powder. It can be a 'greens plus', spirulina, chlorella whatever, I don't care, it just makes sense to get the extra nutrition with any shake.
If you are serious about competition, not just looking 'beach hot' then you'll have to plan, things like meals, etc will be slightly harder for you & packing food may have to be an option. You can also do things like drink a protein shake then go eat a salad (no high cal dressings!) with your friends if they go to eateries that find it hard to cater for vegans.
Other things you might like to take. B12 is pretty vital. I believe everyone in training & everyone over 40 whatever their diet should have B12 pills are cheap buy those. Unless you live in a very sunny area & get out a lot you might also want a vitamin D, recently I've moved from taking vitamin D2 (made by viridian which is a pretty good product) to trying out this new vitamin D3 product that are suitable for vegans made by vitashine it will really take over the winter to see what the results are from that, but hopefully it will mean less illness as D3 is bio-identical to the stuff the body makes.
Thing that's about it, be sensible, if it hurts then don't do it (even if it's a great exercise for everyone else) & you're certainly not to old to achieve your goals!
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
phenix

phenix

a big hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: a big hello   a big hello EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 am

Thanx Pete for what I can only say is some 'awsome' advice! Smile

Its nice to hear that Im not 'over the hill' to start training again and that as you so rightly said, I do not expect to see over night results Smile
I will take your advice on board and keep you posted to how I get on, thankyou again cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a big hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: a big hello   a big hello Empty

Back to top Go down

a big hello
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: