Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate? Empty
PostSubject: Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate?   Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate? EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 12:50 pm

There's a war going on right now. harvard has brought out their own dietary guidelines that go against their own Governments recommendations
Here's the Governments Myplate:
Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate? Myplate_blue

Here's the Harvard plate:
Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate? Healthy-eating-plate-700

On the surface it doesn't look that much different, but there are a few points you might want to note:
1/ Water not dairy! Yep, dairy should be limited according to the Harvard plate, but it is encouraged in the myplate
2/ Oils are included in the Harvard palte. Let's be honest 99%of people have some oil - a dressing, or cook using some oil, or have healthy oil like an omega-3 to lower inflammation & improve hormone & cell building, so including it makes some sense (in the oils it also tells you to limit butter & avoid transfats).
3/ it mentions that potatoes should not be your veggie of choice!
4/ It tells you to avoid bacon & processed meats
5/ It also mentions staying active which is vital to maintaining health.

So, I'd say the Harvard guide beats the myplate guidelines by quite a bit. Obviously I don't think it's perfect, but it is much better than the Government guidelines in my view. I'd much prefer to see someone follow the Harvard than the myplate eating plan, even if it isn't exactly what I'd suggest
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com

Does the harvard plate beat the US mGovernment Myplate?
Page 1 of 1