Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient Empty
PostSubject: Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient   Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:11 am

Here's a study about the risks of a fruitarian diet. I don't think this is too common as I've met fruitarians over the decades & yet this is the first study I've seen of this serious an outcome (I've seen a few who lost teeth, yeast issues etc, but never literal starvation). You'd have to be pretty disciplined to stick to fruitarian diet & I'm not sure about long term health as all primates I've heard of eat leaves, nuts etc as well as fruit. I noted the line "This behavioural alteration frequently leads to starvation and the subsequent Ketoacidosis due to starvation." ..this was unreference & later it is noted "To our knowledge, it is the first reported case of ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient." which implies there is no evidence that it "...frequently leads to..." remark & is in fact rare. Secondly the patient was brought in after a week fast NOT a fruitarian diet as such. The study even states "Previous week strict fasting was the cause that triggered severe ketoacidosis.".
It should be noted that they also class vegetarian, vegan & any other dietary choices as 'eating disorders'! So, all those people who's dietary changes have saved them from death from heart disease, & other metabolic syndrome related conditions are actually suffering an eating disorder?
Although I'm not a fan of fruitarian diets I do think this study appears to be as much a propaganda exercise as a study. A study drawing conclusions based on one patient. Think that one quarter of all (US/UK) meat eaters are obese, many suffer from from metabolic syndrome related disease (type 2 diabetes, arteriosclerosis etc etc) we have ample evidence of this ,& yet only ever 1 fruitarian. It may be fruitarian diets may have problems - I certainly wouldn't like to try it, but lumping all dietary choices that exclude certain foods into 'eating disorders' annoyed me quite a bit.
Anyway here's the full study

Quote :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21519781?dopt=Abstract

Nutr Hosp. 2010 Nov-Dec;25(6):1049-52.
Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient.
Causso C, Arrieta F, Hernández J, Botella-Carretero JI, Muro M, Puerta C, Balsa JA, Zamarron I, Vázquez C.
Source

Hospital Universitario Príncipe de Asturias, Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, España.
Abstract

The present paper presents the first clinical case of a patient suffering from Frutarianism a new "Eating disorder" and severe Ketoacidosis. The life-style feed strictly only on fruits (not even other vegetables, since plant death is necessary previous consumption).This behavioural alteration frequently leads to starvation and the subsequent Ketoacidosis due to starvation.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient   Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 am

Looks like a seriously biased study. I like the second line where they claim that all fruitarians are such because they don't want to kill plants. I've known some online and they've all done it for health reasons. Never met anyone who didn't want to kill plants as this "study" claims.
Back to top Go down

Severe ketoacidosis secondary to starvation in a frutarian patient
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Nutrition-
Jump to: