Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Millet slice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Millet slice Empty
PostSubject: Millet slice   Millet slice EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 am

Millet slice Milletslice1
Yep, I have a recipe! It's not very detailed. I got the idea off of Infinity food café in town. They stopped making it, so I asked for the recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup of millet
2 cups of water

Suggested seasoning -
marigold liquid aminos (soya sauce or similar)
pinch of sage
pinch of parsley
pinch of oregano
half a teaspoon of curry powder
pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper
half a teaspoon of turmuric
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
a small piece of finely chopped ginger
(or any seasoning you prefer)

Veggies of your choice (in this one I used peas, carrots, sweetcorn & some greens)
1 teaspoon of coconut oil

Method:
Millet slice Milletslice2

Add the millet, water & all the seasoning into a pot & simmer on a low heat until the millet has absorbed the excess fluid. You can vary the seasoning to any that you have in & like.
While the millet is cooking steam any mix of veggies you like. Just make sure there is more millet than veggies & cut the veggies small.

Once that is all done bung the millet & the veggies into a pyrex or similar bowl, then coat the top with a touch of coconut oil & put in the oven at about 120-150 degrees C cook for 30-40 minutes (or until the top browns slightly).

You're done. Serve with any veggies you like.

Another variation I've discovered later is to add 1 cup red lentils. Cook the lentil 1 cup of lentils to 2 cups of water first, rinse a lot, then add to the mix before it goes in the oven. I just liked the idea of getting a bit more protein from my slice, so it would now be a millet & lentil slice. This one does not hold together quite as well as millet on it's own.

According to the people at infinity the millet slice can be left in the fridge for a few days, you can reheat once (more than once & it goes too dry), so only reheat the bit you intend to eat or you'll dry out the food too much.

I've actually been using the oven since I had to get a new cooker, so I thought I'd try it out...& this was the result. I do like the fact you can knock it up pretty quick in the morning & have later over the next day or so (not that it's lasted that long so far as I'm a greedy pig pig pig )
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Jay
Admin

Millet slice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Millet slice   Millet slice EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 am

I'm going to try this. I've heard such negative things about millet. It seems millet is only in bird feed here. Also I recall some book where the people were so poor they were reduced to eating millet. Yet I suspect millet can probably taste pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

Millet slice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Millet slice   Millet slice EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 am

My girlfriend liked the millet slice so much that I'm not even going to tell you what she offered me if I made one for her affraid santa sunny
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
vandt

Millet slice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Millet slice   Millet slice EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 am

wow it is very delicious
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Millet slice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Millet slice   Millet slice Empty

Back to top Go down

Millet slice