Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Alternatives to bench press

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
asromacalcio

Alternatives to bench press Empty
PostSubject: Alternatives to bench press   Alternatives to bench press EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:30 am

I've been training for about 5 months and having been encouraged by recent results have started to put more weight on the bars.

I now find that I am having trouble bench pressing, because the shoulder on each side is protesting. It is pretty certain that the joint is tender, rather than the muscle. The pain is sharp and increases with weight lifted. Warming up and massage has not helped.

I was wondering, as totally horizontal bench pressing seems to be the only exercise that is provoking this reaction, what are the alternatives, as obviously I don't want to neglect the pectoral muscle group. It could be that I need to compensate with a range of other exercises but this is a small price to pay, I smell progress and am motivated to highest degree right now.

If it makes any difference, I'm 37, male and remember having this problem under the same circumstances aged 16, and then again aged 32.

Thanks

Chris

www.ctrickett.co.uk

with a link to this site on this page (coming very soon)

http://www.mysgw.co.uk/Page.asp?SiteID=232&PageID=938
Back to top Go down
http://www.ctrickett.co.uk
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to bench press   Alternatives to bench press EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm

You could back off the weight for now and see if putting your elbows either closer to your body or farther away stops the pain.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to bench press   Alternatives to bench press EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Have you considered consulting a doctor who specializes in sports medicine? You might be dealing with Rotator Cuff injuries, these are pretty common, and are very painful and debilitating if aggravated.

You didn't mention how much you've increased the weight you're benching now. Is it possible that you've upped the weight too much and have put a strain on the shoulder muscles? I used to have to keep reminding myself that weight training isn't a power-lifting contest--these days I keep a bunch of 1 1/2 and 3-pound weights on hand so I can increase lifting weight by little mouse-nibbles rather than getting hurt by overloading the bar and myself.

It's hard to think of a regimen that would totally replace benching, but wouldn't cause a similar strain. You might try flys, incline bench press, inclined d-bell curls, cross-cable rows. You might consider taking most of the weight off of the bar and just go through the motions of benching; do this very slowly and stop if it hurts. Increase the weight in small increments while you recover from the original injury.
The people here can probably make more specific suggestions

Go on line and look for a copy of The Seven-Minute Solution, this book has a lot of information about shoulder injuries, and specific advice for dealing with them, and better still, how to avoid them.

Are you working with free weights or on a machine?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to bench press   Alternatives to bench press Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternatives to bench press
Page 1 of 1