Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? Empty
PostSubject: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 am

My usual supplier of spirulina has sold out, so I've been searching around for a cheap source in the UK to get 1KG of powder. I was looking at around £30 if possible.
If there are other algae or green supplements out there that is cheap I'd consider that. I just add it to my shakes for some extra nutritional 'bang'.
I've got enough for a few more weeks, so it's not urgent, but any ideas would be ace What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Ryan

Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Pete,

I get mine from Holland and Barretts. They do own brand isolate soya protein too which is low in fat and carbs...the flavours arent brilliant mixed with water but beat most.

Hope that helps.

Ryan.
Back to top Go down
Destiny

Destiny

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Ryan,

Is the spirulina u talking about from H & B in the powdered form, as i blend mine in to a shake.

The organic powder i get from my local heath food shop is £ 9.20 for 100g affraid

I too need to source a cheaper ( organic ) deal Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 am

I usually get this which works out as much cheaper than yours Di. But as I said they are out. It might be worth dropping them a line info@naturallygreen.co.uk & asking when they're getting some more in, it might hurry them up?
Oh yea the claim made on the page that the B12 is 'human active' is highly contentious & in my opinion (based on the research I've read) incorrect. Everything I've read suggests that any B12-like substances are actually analogues of B12 (that is have a similar chemical make-up, but are not usable by the human body). I'm not saying this IS the case, but that enough evidence is out there that it's not worth the risk when you can pop a B12 pill which is dirt cheap & be covered.
Spirulina has been shown to have an effect on hayfever (one reason I take it over the summer) & has enough extra nutrients in it to justify me adding to my shake (& it's virtually no extra work just scoop in a teaspoon once AM, once post workout-in my case). Yea it tastes rubbish..& I know a few people just can't tolerate it because of that, but as I don't find it that bad it's no hardship adding it in...infact I think I might go & get a hemp concentrate with spirulina & a banana shake right now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Destiny

Destiny

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Ye ! I will e-mail them and hurry them up to stock up as that is quite a deal and cheaper than wat i am getting at the mo !!

I Love the taste of spirulina !! But then i love the taste of the herb valarian, which not many people do !!

Both of them are very earthy !

I am injecting B12 on a regular basis as advised by my herbalist, ( sourced from canada ) I have a hereditary blood disorder -- spherocytosis -- and no spleen so B12 and spirulina which is productive in creating red blood cells is invaluable as the spleen reproduces and decomposes red blood cells so the job is over to the liver which in my case needs a hand !!

Injecting B12 is fantastic as when u ingest the vitamin , there is not much absotion by the body compared to intramuscular absorbtion, there is no problem on over dose as the body eliminates any excess and as a vegan, our access to B12 is very limited. Plant based B12 is dependant on bacterial growth on the plant .

What the GPs think should be a " normal " level and what in reality ( according to my herbalist ) is a good level, is an underestimation. I am living proof, as when i upd my levels, the differance was incredible, My energy levels went up, but also things like my brain function were noticibly better and my vision and clarity on all levels and thought processes were faster !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 am

Yea, B12 injection are the most guaranteed method of getting B12, every other method has potential problems with assimilation. I know a few bodybuilders who inject B12 & have benefited as do quite a few older people (it becomes harder to assimilate B12 as you age), as well as people, like you, with medical issues. I'm assuming the spleen was removed surgically because of the condition, not that you were born without a spleen?
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:47 am

I've ended up ordering this from gojiking, including shipping it's a couple of pennies under £40, which is more expensive than my usual stuff, but at least it's in stock!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?   Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where can you buy spirulina cheap in the UK?
Page 1 of 1