Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Ezekiel Bread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Ezekiel Bread Empty
PostSubject: Ezekiel Bread   Ezekiel Bread EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 8:48 am

I stole this off-line (you know I don't cook myself cherry ). I changed honey to maple syrup & there you go. Seems to be a lot of different flours, you'd be lugging home a sack of flours & have to be pretty committed to to doing a load of baking to buy so many different flours - if there a simpler version of this recipe you know of? I quite like the idea of a lentils in a 'bread' (or other legume for that matter), but I'd need a very basic recipe....Anyway here it is.

Ingredients

200g (7 oz) brown lentils
15g (1/2 oz) dried active baking yeast
1.2L (2 pints) warm water (45 C), divided
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
950g (2 1/8 lb) wholemeal flour
600g (1 1/3 lb) barley flour
450g (16 oz) soya flour
50g (2 oz) millet flour
4 tablespoons rye flour

Preparation method
1. Place lentils in a small saucepan, cover with water and cook until soft. Drain and set aside to cool. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 60ml warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

2. Place the cooled lentils in a bowl and mash. Mix in olive oil, maple syrup, salt and remaining warm water. In a large bowl, mix together wholemeal flour, barley flour, soya flour, millet flour and rye flour.

3. Stir the yeast mixture into the lentil mixture. Beat in the flour mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

4. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Briefly knead the dough and divide into four equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into four lightly greased 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tins. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.

5. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

Nutrition

* Calories 160.3 kcal
* Calories from Fat 25.2 kcal
* Fat 2.8 g
* Saturated Fat 0.4 g
* Cholesterol 0 mg
* Sodium 148.6 mg
* Potassium 256.9 mg
* Carbohydrates 29.2 g
* Dietary Fibre 5.5 g
* Protein 6.7 g
* Vitamin A 1.8 mcg