Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete
Admin
Pete

Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition Empty
PostSubject: Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition   Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 4:07 am

This annoys me. You are rich, you can afford the best nutritional advice & you can end up like this. It's relatively simple to go vegan & be healthy, just about every major nutrition has found it easily possible to do.
Malnutrition for someone in this position can be answered in one word "Stupidity!". I'll take a wild guess that she either hired people to cook for her who knew nothing about a vegan diet, followed some weird guru (a good guess I reckon, these stars love their gurus), or just had other food issues & used the diet as an excuse.
When I first became vegan in the dim, distant past (over 20 years ago now!) I was not really the healthiest example as I used to do the festival scene & was pretty much a 24/7 party animal & still managed to be a fair distance runner - my carb intake was insane in those days with things like 12 currant buns after a run & then plenty more carbs throughout the day - I was still rake thin, but not lacking in energy! I knew nothing about nutrition & thought nothing of having say a crisp (chip to you in the US) sandwich or 4 as a meal affraid
Even so (& even with an incorrect running technique!) I still ran at a reasonable rate (nothing earth shattering) for quite a few years (I might even give it a bash in 2011 again at some shorter distances, see if me & Coach Gary can't beat a few of those vegan runners Laughing (Have to beat Peter Simpson mind you if we're going to race! [he's the head guy at vegan runners]), although lugging around the extra pounds I've got now will make things harder (maybe just a 10K race then Laughing ).
Anyway here's the article:

Quote :
http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-fitness-and-health-in-national/angelina-jolie-near-death-from-vegan-diet-malnutrition-photos

Angelina Jolie was left close to death after committing to a vegan diet. She says the diet left her fatigued and malnourished. Two side-effects of the diet that had her running back to red meat.

"I joke that a big juicy steak is my beauty secret. But seriously, I love red meat," the 35-year-old mother of six told Contactmusic.com. I was a vegan for a long time, and it nearly killed me. I found I was not getting enough nutrition."

Angelina Jolie: Anorexic?

In 2009, criticism of Angelina's skeletal frame led to rumors the actress was suffering from anorexia, depression or relationship problems with Brad Pitt.

"Some feel she’s anorexic,” a source close to Jolie said in November 2009. “Certainly, she’s lost a lot of weight. If she drops more weight she’ll be just skin and bone.”

Because Angelina's always maintained a small frame, the rumors may have been associated with her vegetarian diet. For now, she's sticking to meat on her plate for top energy in taking care of her kiddos -Son Maddox, nine, Pax, six, Zahara, five, Shiloh, four, and two-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.

What other famous faces have ditched the vegan diet?

Julia Stiles was left apologizing for bashing the vegan lifestyle after she voiced how "great" it was to end it. She ate vegan for two years, it left her malnourished and she eventually regretted her words. Her diet, however, stayed sticking with meat.

"I’m not [still vegan]," said Stiles after swearing off vegan. "I was for a couple of years and I ended up getting anemic. I regret going on a talk show and talking about it.." She adds, "But it wasn’t good, health wise, for me."

Actress Hilary Swank also claimed her vegan diet left her frail. She said that while it was "hard" for her to consume meat after many years of going meatless, Swank said she had to consume meat to save her health.

Hollywood Hollistic: Celebrities who choose Vegan

While Jolie stakes her claim that red meat is her "beauty secret", many other celebrities claim that being vegan has changed their life. "Glee" actress Lea Michelle says the diet makes her "feel good and bright".

Kellie Pickler believes going vegan helped her to manage her weight and stay thin. Singer Leona Lewis is hoping to influence others, like Simon Cowell, to give up eating meat. Other celebrities jumping the bandwagon to change pubic thought on vegetarianism include stars like Alicia Silverstone, Pam Anderson and Kate Moss who all proudly claim vegan is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
BlueRose

BlueRose

PostSubject: Re: Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition   Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:43 am

When I heard of this, I instantly lost any and all respect for the actress. It's common sense to actually research a diet and basic nutrition before you make such a drastic lifestyle change. People who treat veganism as a mere elimination diet are bound to suffer like she did and let's face it, she was underweight to start.
Back to top Go down
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition   Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

I've worked with three nurses who gave up being vegetarian because they say they got anemic and were told by doctors they had to eat meat to save their health. I tried to explain to all three about absorption of heme versus nonheme iron and making sure to consume vitamin C at the same time and that doctors don't have any nutritional training... but for a person to still be openminded on the subject after having gotten sick is probably really rare.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition   Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 am

When you think in the UK 25% of people can't eat without illness anyway (obesity rates for the UK are just a touch below the 25% - I believe the US has topped 25% now & rising!), then it's not so hard to think that some vegans make errors in their diets as well. You'd think though someone who had the kind of cash AJ has she'd just pay someone to write her a decent diet, then get someone to cook it all for her (I wish I could afford getting someone in to cook all my meals pig )
Anyone with any sense at all wouldn't go to a doctor about a nutritional issue, I think you'd have better luck going to your aunty who reads all those free magazines at the health food store than 99% of all doctors - you would be much better going to a nutritionist or dietician.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition   Angelina Jolie near death from vegan diet, malnutrition Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1