Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Chocolate...one of the major food groups.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

Grayfox

Chocolate...one of the major food groups. Empty
PostSubject: Chocolate...one of the major food groups.   Chocolate...one of the major food groups. EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Today I followed the first half of a two day recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine for "Chocolate Sorbet."
It involves caramelized sugar and large quantities of high-octane chocolate.
By this time tomorrow I'll know if my practition of their formula worked, and will post the results here in violation of their copyright but as a service to humankind.

Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

Chocolate...one of the major food groups. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chocolate...one of the major food groups.   Chocolate...one of the major food groups. EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 7:04 pm

My evaluation of this recipe?
Hey! It’s chocolate and it’s cold…!
Yes, it is probably worth the trouble to make, and it really isn’t difficult.
Thanks, Fiona Kennedy for your work in the kitchen and for writing this, and thanks to Vegetarian Times for publishing the recipe.

Dark Chocolate-Carmel Sorbet
(From Vegetarian Times, Vol. 36, No. 7, p.51)

The caramelized sugar syrup that is the base for this decadent chocolate sorbet adds to the depth and richness. There are very few ingredients for the recipe, so the quality of the chocolate and cocoa really count.

1 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. salt
7 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped

1. Place sugar in large saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until sugar has melted and caramelized to light amber color, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in lemon juice (mixture will boil violently for several minutes). Slowly add 2 ½ cups boiling water, and stir until hardened caramel is dissolved. Stir in cocoa powder and salt, and bring mixture to just under a simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate. Let stand 1 minute, then blend smooth with immersion blender. Transfer to covered container and refrigerate overnight.
3. Pour sorbet base into ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Per ½ cup serving, 247 cal. …

(Jumpin’ jeezus, a half a cup serving of this would bring someone right out of insulin shock. Two tablespoons in a small dish is plenty.
I used Hershey’s Special Dark for the chocolate, but also had L'Artigiano Italian Bitter Dark Chocolate waiting in the wings.
My sorbet came out less than smooth, perhaps because I don’t own an “immersion blender,” and used a whisk to blend the chocolate. Nevertheless I would make this again.
Back to top Go down

Chocolate...one of the major food groups.
Page 1 of 1