Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... Empty
PostSubject: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... 0

I use this image for purposes of illustration, this above is NOT our gym,

this guy today solo in the gym, no one helping him out and not exactly the so-called spring chicken either, a little under average height, went up to this machine in the weight room with the pull up bars, not exactly like those in the picture, the kind of pull up bars that stick out like prongs, I think they are suppose to make it easier,

He did this a few times, he pulls up to the bars, turns himself upside down hooking his legs into the prongs jutting out and then on both sides, are cables for weights on both sides, left and right hand, so then he tugs those cables... and he does all this wearing "headphones" alright.

Rather outstanding, I pointed it out to a guy in the gym and he said, "it's like in the circus."

Anyway, I had to share that...
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptySun May 30, 2010 7:14 pm

When I used to work out in the gym at Syracuse University there was a guy who showed up there frequently. He would take up a position on the dip station on the Universal Machine, and do repetitive dips for a half hour or so, no other exercise. His arms resembled, and were as hard as, a sack of baseball bats.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the guy was doing but it sounds slightly silly. But if he enjoys doing it that's fine by me.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Jay wrote:
I'm not entirely sure I understand what the guy was doing but it sounds slightly silly. But if he enjoys doing it that's fine by me.

Some people collect stamps.

Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Grayfox wrote:
Jay wrote:

Some people collect stamps.

It would exhibit athletic prowess certainly.

Anyway, maybe I did not express it clearly, these are these cable weight machines and you can cable-pull weights from both directions, above is like a cross-bar such as a goal in football/soccer has, on that bar is a pull-up bar but also, some bars jutting out and I guess they make them so you can pull yourself up, upside down, tuck your legs in by your knees.

That piece of equipment is labelled for "advanced training"!
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:01 pm

The gym I mentioned at Syracuse University was also used by the "Didn't Quite Make the Team" football players. These guys weren't good enough for the varsity team, but if they stayed in shape they might be called on to replace an injured varsity player, so they lumbered into this gym to use the rusty Universal machine and the mismatched free weights.
I should mention, with respect, that these hopeful football players were not always the brightest candles in the chandelier, and that they sometimes exhibited a gorilla-like attitude to those of us who also wanted to use the equipment. They would shamble into the gym with knuckles dragging on the floor, turning their shoulders sideways to fit through the door, and brush other people off of the machine so they could work out. I had the distinct impression that they took steroids like other people eat salted peanuts. But it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to argue the point with them since they were capable of tearing off one's arms and legs.
The most interesting display I saw during those days was on the bench-press station of the Universal machine. The gentleman pinned the weight-stack at 220 lbs. which was its maximum, placed the 50 lb. auxiliary weight on top of the stack, then call on one of his companions to climb up and stand on top of the bar while he cranked out more bench-presses than the rest of us could count.
Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Grayfox wrote:
The gym I mentioned at Syracuse University was also used by the "Didn't Quite Make the Team" football players. These guys weren't good enough for the varsity team, but if they stayed in shape they might be called on to replace an injured varsity player, so they lumbered into this gym to use the rusty Universal machine and the mismatched free weights.
I should mention, with respect, that these hopeful football players were not always the brightest candles in the chandelier, and that they sometimes exhibited a gorilla-like attitude to those of us who also wanted to use the equipment. They would shamble into the gym with knuckles dragging on the floor, turning their shoulders sideways to fit through the door, and brush other people off of the machine so they could work out. I had the distinct impression that they took steroids like other people eat salted peanuts. But it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to argue the point with them since they were capable of tearing off one's arms and legs.
The most interesting display I saw during those days was on the bench-press station of the Universal machine. The gentleman pinned the weight-stack at 220 lbs. which was its maximum, placed the 50 lb. auxiliary weight on top of the stack, then call on one of his companions to climb up and stand on top of the bar while he cranked out more bench-presses than the rest of us could count.

I had the impression a Universal machine might be what they call a Smith machine too. I know what those are.

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... Universal-smithSS1500

So what do you mean his friend stood on top of the bar?

2 times, I've seen friends/acquaintances at the gym show up with a bruise near their eye or something, black eye, makes you wonder what they've been up to.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 pm

That's a new model machine... here's the dinosaur old Universal machine:

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... UniversalGymmachine

The machine has four sides, and four different weight-stacks.
Starting from far left in the photo:
( 1 ) Leg-raise station.
( 2 ) Leg-press and toe-raise station.
( 3 ) Sit-up board (shown flat, but can be raised to 45-degrees)
( 4 ) Bench-press station (note handle bars).
( 5 ) Pull-up station (high on the right corner of the machine in the photo).
( 6 ) Military press station (some models had a pec-deck here).
( 7 ) Curl station (on the back of this photo).
( 8 ) There's a pull-down station, but not located where I remember it.
( 9 ) There's also a leg-extension bench free-standing from the main machine.

In its original configuration the Universal Gym used simple levers to connect the lifter to the weight-stack. Because the angle of the lever became mechanically more favorable the higher you lifted, the lift became easier as you neared the top. Later they introduced a system that used a rolling fulcrum-point that maintained the weight approximately equally from the beginning to the end of the lifting stroke.

The author of the post where the above photo appears ( http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&page=80 ) says he purchased the machine for $270, which is a bargain until you realize that the machine is HUGE--few people have the floor space for this thing, and consider that the whole schmeer weighs, literally, half a ton. Nevertheless, I almost wish I had one for old time's sake. Naugh...I prefer free-weights.

Last edited by Grayfox on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm

An advantage of the Universal, and similar machines, is that they make it very easy to organize your workout--ten reps at each station, three times around the machine and you're done--I used to do this on my lunch hour.
Also, the Universal was marginally safer than working out with free weights.

A disadvantage is that it is difficult to vary the routine, so it's hard to apply the "muscle-confusion" principle.

Humorists who worked out on the Universal were able to prank the next lifter. The number of plates on weight stack was selected by inserting a quarter-inch metal pin through a hole in the stack, which engaged a metal bar which was connected to the lifting cable . Before leaving the gym some guys pinned the weight stack WAY higher than they were actually lifting, thus freaking out later lifters with impossible goals.
Obviously this didn't work with the "Not Quite Varsity" football players in the Syracuse gym--those gorillas could lift anything.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 am

I hot-linked to the illustrations of the Universal Machine, but hot-links aren't forever. I'll re-post pictures properly when my home computer is back on line.

Back to top Go down
PhysCultureFan

PhysCultureFan

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am

Grey Fox: Whatever, I got a good look at the Universal Machine, do not feel like it is necessary to repost.
Back to top Go down
Grayfox

Grayfox

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:48 pm

I put the photo of the Universal back in the earlier post.
It's kind of interesting... like a beached whale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...   Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups... Empty

Back to top Go down

Acrobatic ... Training... Pullups...
Page 1 of 1