Vegan Bodybuilding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum

The Forum of www.veganbodybuilding.org

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This board is closing down - we are moving to a new permanent home at http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/forum/

Jerry the Bear

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Grayfox

Grayfox

Jerry the Bear Empty
PostSubject: Jerry the Bear   Jerry the Bear EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

My old gym-buddy, Jerry the Bear, used to squat approximately the weight of the car I was driving in those days. And Jerry, whose body was largely made up of muscle, fur and misspelled tattoos, could bench-press things like the Rocky Mountains, which shouldn’t be moved under any circumstances. One day while spotting Jerry I heard a Crack like the breaking of a ripe carrot and Jerry said words you never heard in the bible.
Jerry’s doctor told him that his knees were a meniscus disaster zone, and that he should give up weight training and retire to a chimney corner, slurping gruel from a wooden spoon
However Jerry, who used to be an outlaw motorcycle biker, said fork-cue to the doctor. Last I heard, Jerry has taken up cross-country bicycle racing and is fit and trim.
There is probably a moral to this story.
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Pete

Jerry the Bear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jerry the Bear   Jerry the Bear EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 5:15 am

I've noticed a thing about doctors. They always say (whatever the issue) rest...REST! They should be saying something like (for example).
Quote :
The knee is damaged, so start light rehab to keep full ROM, work the other leg to death, keep on pounding that upper body. As time goes on increase the weight you use on the damaged leg to regain full strength, in fact why not aim to improve strength on that leg over the medium term as we all know increased leg muscularity aids knees & lessens any knee pains & other symptoms
But no it's simply rest. As a side note I'm actually reading a book right now called PRE (Progressive resistance exercise) by Delorme & Watkins. If was written in the 1950's & is the first serious medical study of resistance training ever published (only half a century or so behind the leaders of physical culture pointed out the truth about weight training Very Happy ). They advocate getting into training (even if you need assistance to get any reps at first) as soon as any injury has recovered enough to be worked, then gradually working up over time as quickly as it is safe to do.
They also cover all the 'buzz' terms' of today like how compensations can occur with a great example of how you can 'hide' an extremely weak quad & even do well in sports while having a chronically weak quad (a real example that came to them with knee issues).
If you ever wanted to know where the idea of 3 sets of 10 came from & a multitude of other training related ideas that are still in use today, then this book could well have a lot to do with it.
They deal with all sorts of issues like a guy having an arm nearly hacked off by machine gun fire & how they returned it to near 100% recovery (you see the guy doing push-ups & a lateral raise while missing a good part of his pec & the arm in question being nearly removed by a gun battle!). It's an interesting read & these guys seem to be well ahead of many doctors I speak to today when it comes to rehab & injury recovery & that was over 50 years ago! It makes you wonder sometimes. I mean doctors seem to be becoming more & more into just dishing out a pill for every ill rather than addressing the root of the problem & fixing the actual cause.
Back to top Go down
https://veganbodybuilding.forumotion.com
Grayfox

Grayfox

Jerry the Bear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jerry the Bear   Jerry the Bear EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

When I homogenized my leg skiing ( an impacted fracture of the femur—the broken bones smooched together about an inch or so), the doctor told me that I had a one in ten possibility of losing the leg. I tried to be polite, but asked, “How do I improve the odds?”
He said, “That was decided when you hit the ground…”
That doctor’s successors told me to avoid putting any weight on the leg for six months or so, which I kinda did, but I also had a life to live. So I learned to walk on crutches, and only took the Vicodin at bedtime because it compromises one’s thinking during the day. I also resumed weight training without telling the doctor nor my wife.
There are a remarkable number of things you can do while sitting in a chair: curls, lifts, bent-over rows if you’re careful, most triceps exercises, crunches and crushes, and so forth. The important thing is to listen to your body…if it hurts a little bit it’s probably okay…if it hurts enough to interrupt a conversation then you should probably back off for a while.

Now I’m way better except that the titanium bolts in my leg are annoying sometimes. I’ll probably never be one of history’s great lifters, but I’m still having fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jerry the Bear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jerry the Bear   Jerry the Bear Empty

Back to top Go down

Jerry the Bear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegan Bodybuilding Forum :: Injury & rehab-
Jump to: